Received 12.01.2023. Revised 17.02.2023. Accepted 27.02.2023.
Abstract. The shortage of medical personnel is becoming a heavy burden on modern healthcare systems around the world. All countries, without exception, turned out to be vulnerable, regardless of the level of income and available forms of medical care. This study addresses the issue of staffing at the time of transition to a new technological level of the healthcare system in the United States. The paper shows that at the present stage in the country there is a need for fundamental changes in the personnel policy in the medical field. The challenges caused by the COVID‑19 pandemic not only exposed all the vulnerabilities of the national health system, but also opened up opportunities considering the lessons learned to rethink the long-term vision of solving the workforce problems directly related to the use of new technologies. Based on the analysis of statistical data and sociological research, the author identified the latest trends of overcoming barriers in the field of training and retraining of personnel in the context of the transition to digital medicine. Overexertion among medical personnel associated with increased workload has exacerbated the problem of their professional burnout. The mass protests of physicians necessitated the development of new approaches to the labor protection of employees in the medical field. Solution of such important social problems will require a long time and financial costs and is possible only through the joint efforts of the state and the entire community as a whole.
Keywords: shortage of medical personnel, personnel efficiency, medical education, labor protection in the medical field
1. Eremina S.A., Kudelina O.V. World experience in evaluating the effectiveness of healthcare systems. All-Russian economic journal, 2014, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 8-10. (In Russ.) Available at: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/mirovoy-opyt-otsenki-effektivnosti-sistemy-zdravoohraneniya/viewer (accessed 25.11.2022).
2. Mensik H. Healthcare cost growth trails overall price hikes amid record inflation. Healthcare Dive, 25.08.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/inflation-delayed-impact-healthcare-costs-KFF-peterson/630500/ (accessed 22.10.2022).
3. Savenije D. The latest labor trends in healthcare. Healthcare Dive, 08.02.2023. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/trendline/labor/28/?utm_source=HD&utm_medium=NL1Feb6&utm_campaign=SynergyHealth&utm_content=ad-TOP_SPOT&utm_term=50403 (accessed 11.02.2023).
4. Shvedova N.A. Nursing in the USA: Achievements and Problems. Russia and America in the 21st Century, 2018, iss. 4. (In Russ.) Available at: https://rusus.jes.su/s207054760000060-3-1/ (accessed 11.02.2023).
5. Mensik H. Nurse shortages spur systems to dangle steep sign-on bonuses. Healthcare Dive, 01.06.2021. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/nurse-shortages-spur-systems-to-dangle-steep-sign-on-bonuses/601028/ (accessed 11.02.2023).
6. Aboulenein A. Hiring and data: how the U.S. will set up new Medicare drug price talks. Reuters, 22.08.2022. Available at: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/hiring-data-how-us-will-set-up-new-medicare-drug-price-talks-2022-08-22 (accessed 30.09.2022).
7. Sautkina V.A. The health care system in the United States: in search of a new management model. USA & Canada: economics–politics–culture, 2022, iss. 6, pp. 71-87. (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.imemo.ru/files/File/ru/Articles/2022/USA-Canada-062022-Sautkina.pdf (accessed 30.09.2022).
8. Kreighbaum A. Recruiting Platforms Put Employers at Risk of Unintentional Bias. Bloomberg law, 26.09.2022. Daily Labor Report. Available at: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/recruiting-platforms-put-employers-at-risk-of-unintentional-bias (accessed 30.10.2022).
9. Siwicki B. How virtual reality can help address the mental health professional shortage. healthcareitnews, 12.09.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/how-virtual-reality-can-help-address-mental-health-professional-shortage (accessed 19.12.2022).
10. Kelly S. Trinity Health posts $1.4 billion net loss in 2022 as contract labor costs hit ‘unprecedented highs’. Healthcare Dive, 04.10.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/Trinity-Health-earnings/633247/ (accessed 16.12.2022).
11. Sautkina V.A. Human resources of digital medicine: Trajectories of development and improving competitiveness. Social and labor research, 2022, no. 3 (48), pp. 141-151. (In Russ.) Available at: https://vcot.info/assets/img/magazine/issues/2022/48.pdf (accessed 16.12.2022).
12. Wheeler L. Biden Hands Pandemic Policy Opponents Leg Up in Legal Disputes. Bloomberg law, 05.10.2022. Available at: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/biden-hands-pandemic-policy-opponents-leg-up-in-legal-disputes (accessed 25.11.2022).
13. Redford G. What makes a good doctor – and other findings from the 2019 AAMC Public Opinion Research. Aamc, 27.04.2020. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/what-makes-good-doctor-and-other-findings-2019-aamc-public-opinion-research (accessed 29.10.2022).
14. Lagasse J. Cerner will pay $1.8 million in racial discrimination case. Healthcare Dive, 10.08.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcarefinancenews.com/news/cerner-will-pay-18-million-racial-discrimination-case (accessed 23.12.2022).
15. Eddy N. Study: Telehealth could increase physicians’ after-hours work. Mobihealthnews, 19.08.2022. Available at: https://www.mobihealthnews.com/news/study-telehealth-could-increase-physicians-after-hours-work (accessed 24.12.2022).
16. Sinsky C.A., Shanafelt T.D., Dyrbye L.N. et al. Health Care Expenditures Attributable to Primary Care Physician Overall and Burnout-Related Turnover: A Cross-sectional Analysis. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 2022, vol. 97, iss. 4, pp. 693-702. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2021.09.013 (accessed 17.02.2023).
17. Fox A. Physician burnout is at an all-time high, says AMA. Healthcareitnews, 19.09.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/physician-burnout-all-time-high-says-ama#:~:text=Due%20to%20the%20extreme%20stressors,expansion%20and%20prior%20auth%20reforms (accessed 24.12.2022).
18. Combs R. Biggest Influx of Union Workers Isn’t from Starbucks. Bloomberg Law, 23.08.2022. Available at: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bloomberg-law-analysis/analysis-biggest-influx-of-union-workers-isnt-from-starbucks (accessed 24.12.2022).
19. Kelly S. California probes Kaiser over enrollee access to mental health appointments. Healthcare Dive, 29.08.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/kaiser-california-mental-health-strike-investigation-dmhc/630667/ (accessed 24.12.2022).
20. Mensik H. Physician resident salaries stagnate through pandemic. Healthcare Dive, 01.08.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/medscape-resident-salaries-2022/628462/ (accessed 24.12.2022).
21. Mensik H. Healthcare executive compensation grows in 2022. Healthcare Dive, 12.08.2022. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/healthcare-executive-compensation-grows-2022-SullivanCotter/629584/ (accessed 24.12.2022).
1. Health Care Costs by Country 2022. World Population Review. Available at: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/health-care-costs-by-country (accessed 25.11.2022).
2. Health workforce. Global strategy for human resources for health: workforce 2030. 144th session of the WHO Executive Board, 30.11.2018. 9 p. (In Russ.) Available at: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/327512/B144_26-ru.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y (accessed 24.12.2022).
3. AAMC Report Reinforces Mounting Physician Shortage. AAMC, 11.06.2021. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/press-releases/aamc-report-reinforces-mounting-physician-shortage (accessed 22.09.2022).
4. HHS Invests Nearly $60 Million to Strengthen Health Care Workforce and Improve Access to Care in Rural Communities. HHS, 08.08.2022. Available at: https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/08/08/hhs-invests-nearly-60-million-to-strengthen-health-care-workforce-and-improve-access-to-care-in-rural-communities.html (accessed 21.11.2022).
5. Allied Health Workforce Projections. HRSA. Available at: https://bhw.hrsa.gov/data-research/projecting-health-workforce-supply-demand/allied-health (accessed 25.11.2022).
6. Rural Public Health Workforce Training Network Program. HRSA. Available at: https://www.hrsa.gov/rural-health/grants/rural-community/public-health-workforce (accessed 24.12.2022).
7. Nursing Schools See Enrollment Increases in Entry-Level Programs, Signaling Strong Interest in Nursing Careers. AACN, 05.04.2022. Available at: https://www.aacnnursing.org/News-Information/Press-Releases/View/ArticleId/25183/Nursing-Schools-See-Enrollment-Increases-in-Entry-Level-Programs (accessed 23.12.2022).
8. Tracking healthcare worker strikes. Healthcare Dive, 03.02.2023. Available at: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/labor-strikes-healthcare-workers-2022/626965/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Issue:%202022-08-16%20Healthcare%20Dive%20%5Bissue:43853%5D&utm_term=Healthcare%20Dive (accessed 23.02.2023).