Acknowledgements. The Article was prepared within the project “Post-Crisis World Order: Challenges and Technologies, Competition and Cooperation” supported by the grant from Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation program for research projects in priority areas of scientific and technological development (agreement ¹ 075-15-2020-783).
Abstract. The article is devoted to the problem of the rapid growth of number of illegal migrants smuggled into the United Kingdom after the end of its exit from the European Union (Brexit, 31 December 2020) – during the transition period (1 February – 31 December 2020) and in the first part of 2021. The topic of illegal migration into the UK during its withdrawal from the EU (Brexit, 29 March 2017–31 December 2020) is considered in the article to the extent that it helps to highlight the different facets of the main subject of the research. Scrutinizing the genesis of the problem of illegal migration in the United Kingdom from 2003 to 2021, the article shows that the rapid rise of the migrants’ smugglings across the English Channel in small boats in 2020 – the first part of 2021 has become the challenge for the country. The termination of Great Britain’s membership in the European Union and the COVID 19 pandemic are regarded as the main reasons for it. The author enumerates actions made by the Boris Johnson’s cabinet which aimed at creating new legal framework for readmission of illegal migrants by the EU countries after the end of the transition period. The article pays attention to the strengthening of Anglo-French boarder cooperation as a way to cope with the transfer of illegal migrants to the UK. The creation of new British immigration law after the transition period is seen as a method of struggling with gangs of smugglers and as a means to curb rising influx of illegal migrants. The article considers the dependence of public and social security from tackling of illegal immigration as a source of the Islamist terrorism activity in the country. The author answers the question about the perspectives of the migrant transfer to Great Britain in the nearest future.
Keywords: United Kingdom, European Union, France, Brexit, transition period, illegal migration, Anglo-French cooperation
- Potemkina O. The EU and the Common Asylum System. Contemporary Europe, 2012, no. 1. (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.sov-europe.ru/images/pdf/2012/1-2012/potemkina_1-12.pdf (accessed 22.11.2021).
- Tambini J. Le Touquet Agreement: What is the Treaty of Touquet? The Daily Express, 18.01.2018. Available at: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/906732/Le-Touquet-agreement-what-is-treaty-mean-UK-France-immigration (accessed 03.08.2021).
- Dearden L. Channel Crossings: French Politician Accuses UK of Causing Teenage Migrant’s Death. The Independent, 19.08.2020. Available at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/channel-crossings-death-sudan-child-migrant-asylum-seeker-pierrehenri-dumont-a9678476.html (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Rayner G., Samuel H. Priti Patel is to Examine Ways of Deporting Illegal Migrants More Quickly and in Greater Numbers. The Daily Telegraph, 01.01.2020. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/01/priti-patel-examine-ways-deporting-illegal-migrants-quicklyand/ (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Emergency Terror Legislation Becomes Law. BBC, 26.02.2020. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51649643 (accessed 03.08.2021).
- Channel Migrants: More Than 130 People Bid to Reach UK in 24 Hours. BBC, 04.05.2020. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-52527734 (accessed 03.08.2021).
- Johnson J. and Hymas C. Government Planning New Laws to Force Channel Migrants Back to France. The Daily Telegraph, 20.05.2020. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/20/government-planning-new-laws-force-channel-migrants-back-france/ (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Hymas C. Priti Patel Seeks French Backing for Plan to Return Channel Migrants to France to End People Trafficking. The Daily Telegraph, 06.05.2020. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/06/priti-patel-seeks-french-backing-plan-return-channel-migrants/ (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Bulman M. Hundrends of Asylum Seekers in UK Being Considered for Removal to EU – Despite Absence of Returns Deals. The Independent, 27.05.2021. Available at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-asylum-seekers-deportation-returns-b1854858.html (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Record Number of Unaccompanied Children Reach UK. BBC, 07.08.2020. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-53697517 (accessed 03.08.2021).
- Johnson J. More Migrants Have Crossed Channel and Arrived in UK This Month than in All of Last Year. The Daily Telegraph, 23.09.2020. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/23/migrants-have-crossed-channel-arrived-britain-month-whole-last/ (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Hymas C. UK and France Sign Deal to Prevent Channel Migrant Crossings. The Guardian, 28.11.2020. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/28/uk-and-france-sign-deal-to-make-channel-migrant-crossings-unviable (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Dearden L. Government Refuses to Rule out Wave Machine to Deter Channel Crossings. The Independent, 03.12.2020. Available at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/english-channel-crossings-wave-machine-island-b1765077.html (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Hope C. Brexit will Make Britain a Safer Country to Live in, Says Priti Patel. The Daily Telegraph, 02.01.2021. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/02/brexit-will-make-britain-safer-country-live-says-priti-patel/ (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Hymas C. Number of Channel Migrants Reaching UK Doubles but no Deportation Flights Since Brexit. The Daily telegraph, 02.05.2021. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/02/number-channel-migrants-reaching-uk-doubles-no-deportation-flights/ (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Priti Patel Pledges Overhaul of Asylum Seeker Rules. BBC, 24.03.2021. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56500680 (accessed 05.08.2021).
- Hymas C. Arriving Channel Migrants Double as Smuggling Gangs Use Bigger Boats to Target Smaller Ports. The Daily Telegraph, 25.05.2021. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/25/arriving-channel-migrants-double-smuggling-gangs-use-bigger/ (accessed 30.11.2021).
- EU Pushes on with Migrant Policy Outsourcing Plans. The Independent, 24.06.2021. Available at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/eu-pushes-on-with-migrant-policy-outsourcing-plans-europe-brussels-mediterranean-sea-european-commission-africa-b1872381.html (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Channel Crossings: June Sees Record Number of Migrants. BBC, 29.06.2021. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-57650055 (accessed 05.08.2021).
- Hymas C. Almost Twice as Many EU Citizens as Thought Have Been Living in UK. The Daily Telegraph, 02.07.2021. Available at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/02/almost-twice-many-eu-citizens-thought-have-living-uk (accessed 30.11.2021).
- Borders Bill: Post-Brexit Overhaul of Asylum Rules Unveiled. BBC, 06.07.2021. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-57732761 (accessed 05.08.2021).
- Middleton J. Patel Agrees £54 m Deal with France to Reduce Migrants Reaching England. The Independent, 21.07.2021. Available at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-channel-crossings-migrants-b1887535.html (accessed 07.08.2021).
- Turner L. Priti Patel Defends Deal to Stop Rising Numbers Crossing Channel. BBC, 21.07.2021. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk‑57916659 (accessed 07.08.2021).
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX