The article examines the contribution of Chinese economists to adjustment of reforms strategy under the influence of “post-epidemic consensus”. In early 2020, economists supported official policy of strict lockdowns and mobilization approach in fighting coronavirus, they proposed measures to restore economic activity. After the control over the epidemic was established, scholars focused on analyzing the global impact of the coronavirus crisis and on adjusting China’s development strategy to changed external conditions. Chinese leader Xi Jinping set the guidelines while the economists provided in-depth analysis of particular problems of national development. To understand the Chinese economic discourse, it is important to take into account not only scholarly publications but also the commentaries of Chinese economists on important policy decisions. These commentaries, though little-known outside China, provide scholars an opportunity to communicate their key ideas to the society. The article analyzes both forms of participation of Chinese economists in the discussion on development strategies after the pandemic. The problems of compatibility of anti-crisis measures with long-term development plans have acquired great importance along with searches for responses to de-globalization of the world economy. Scholars paid attention to the new topic of comparative study of economic aspects of suppressing the epidemic in China and other countries with focus on institutional and cultural factors. The preference of domestic economic circulation motivated scholars to assess possible negative impacts of loosened ties with outside world upon the policy of innovation-driven development. The priorities of national economic policy kept the commitment to supply-side structural reform as the “main line” while simultaneously implementing epidemic prevention and supporting social and economic development. Reform guidelines that were updated in 2020– 2021 taking into account the lessons of the fight against the epidemic in China and in the world will keep influence in the years to come.
China, coronavirus, economic science, government policy, economic recovery, reforms, de-globalization, internal circulation
- Fighting COVID‑19: China in Action. White Paper (June, 2020). (In Chin.) Available at: http://www.gov.cn/zhengce/2020-06/07/content_5517737.htm (accessed 02. 12.2021).
- Guided by the Socialist Diplomatic Thought with Chinese Characteristics in the New Era, Strive to Create a New Situation for the Diplomacy among Major Powers with Chinese Characteristics. People’s Daily, 24.06.2018. (In Chin.)
- Zhang Yuyan. Understanding the “Great Transformations of a Century”. Analysis and Forecasting. IMEMO Journal, 2020, no. 2, pp. 20-29. (In Russ.) DOI: 10.20542/afij-2020-2-20-29
- Novoselova L.V. State Anti-virus Policy: Instructive Chinese Practice. Russian Economic Journal, 2021, no. 2, pp. 77-90. (In Russ.) DOI: 10.33983/0130-9757-2021-2-77-90
- Lukonin S.A., Zakliazminskaia E.O. Transformation of the Socio-economic Model of China in the Context of a Pandemic. Outlines of Global Transformations: Politics, Economics, Law, 2020, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 198-216. (In Russ.) DOI: 10.23932/2542-0240- 2020-13-6-11
- Amighini A., ed. China After Covid‑19: Economic Revival and Challenges to the World. Milan, Ledizioni, 2021, 183 p. DOI: 10.14672/55265225.
- Tang Aijun. The Current Situation, Problems and Countermeasures in Domestic Social Thought since the Epidemic. Journal of the Party University of Shijiazhuang City Committee of CPC, 2021, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 30-34. (In Chin.)
- Jin Bei. Economic Understanding of the Responses to the COVID‑19 Pandemic. Frontiers, 2020, no. 6, part 2, pp. 6-13. (In Chin.)
- Wei T. How China Managed the COVID‑19 Pandemic. Asian Economic Papers, 2020, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 75-101. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1162/asep_a_00800
- Luo Rundong, Li Qiongqiong, Xie Xiangjie. Analysis of the China’s Economic Research Focus in 2020. Economic Perspectives, 2021, no. 3, pp. 38-57. (In Chin.)
- Xing Weibo, Tian Kun. Research Progress on the Economic Effects and Intervention Policies of Epidemics. Economic Perspectives, 2020, no. 7, pp. 113-128. (In Chin.)
- Yin Jing, Wang Chunchao. The Progress of Theoretical and Empirical Research on Economic Epidemiology. Economic Perspectives, 2020, no. 7, pp. 99-112. (In Chin.)
- Zhang Ping, Yang Yaowu. The Impact of COVID‑19 on the Growth Path of Chinese Economy and Policy Response – An Analysis Based on the Unbalanced Impact on Enterprises. Economic Perspectives, 2020, no. 3, pp. 22-27. (In Chin.)
- Liu Wei. Economic Recovery from and the Monetary Policy Response to the COVID‑19 Shock. Economic Perspectives, 2020, no. 7, pp. 21-27. (In Chin.)
- Lei Da, Wu Jingmin. Superposition of Epidemic and Recession: Calling for a New Model of Multilateral Anti Crisis Coordination. Exploration and Free Views, 2020, no. 4, pp. 45-51. (In Chin.)
- “Change” and “Response” – World Economic Situation and China’s Economic Adjustment after the Outbreak of the Epidemic. Exploration and Free Views, 2020, no. 8, pp. 4-30. (In Chin.)
- “America Ranked First”?! The Truth about the U. S. Fight against COVID‑19. (In Chin.) Available at: http://www.rdcy.org/uploads2021/file/20210809/20210809160224_12275.pdf (accessed 02.12.2021).
- Sachs J.D. Comparing COVID‑19 Control in the Asia-Pacific and North Atlantic Regions. Asian Economic Papers, 2020, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 30-54. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1162/asep_a_00795
- Li P., Lu M., Zheng Y. A Note on the Role of Cultural, Institutional, and Urbanization Features in the COVID‑19 Pandemic. Asian Economic Papers, 2020, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 64-74. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1162/asep_a_00798
- Wang X. Comment on How China Managed the COVID‑19 Pandemic. Asian Economic Papers, 2020, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 105-108. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1162/asep_a_00816
- Xi Jinping. Several Major Issues in the National Medium and Long-term Economic and Social Development Strategy. Qiushi journal, 2020, no. 21, pp. 4-10. (In Chin.)
- General Group of China Economic Report (2020), Institute of Economics, CASS. The Changing Global Economic Landscape and China’s Potential Growth Rate and High-quality Development in the Post-Epidemic Era. Economic Research Journal, 2020, no. 8, pp. 4-23. (In Chin.)
- Xi Jinping. Correctly Understand and Grasp the Major Issues of Medium and Long-term Economic and Social Development. Qiushi journal, 2021, no. 2, pp. 4-10. (In Chin.)
- Lin J. Y. China’s Economic Outlook against the Backdrop of the COVID‑19 Pandemic and US-China Tensions. Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, 2020, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 327-331. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/14765284.2020.1854024
- Cai Fang, Chen Xiaohong, Zhang Jun, Li Xuesong, Hong Junjie, Zhang Keyun, Lu Ming. The Notes on the Study and Explanation of the Spirit of the Fifth Plenary Session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China. China’s Industrial Economics, 2020, no. 12, pp. 5-27. (In Chin.)
- What Did the Youngest Speaker Lu Ming Report at the Meeting with General Secretary? China Economic Weekly. (In Chin.) Available at: https://finance.sina.cn/2020-08-25/detail-iivhuipp0639941.d.html (accessed 02.12.2021).
- Liu He. Accelerating the Establishment of New Development Conditions under which Domestic Primary Circulation is the Main Actor and Domestic and International Circulation Reciprocally Expedite Each Other. People’s Daily, 25.11.2020. (In Chin.)
- Fan Gang. Dual Circulation and the New Stage of Development of China’s Economy. China Opening Journal, 2020, no. 6, pp. 7-10. (In Chin.)
- Looking forward to 2021. Fan Gang: How to Get through the “Blocking Points” of Dual Circulation? Panoramic View of Finance and Economy. (In Chin.) Available at: https://news.stcn.com/sd/202012/t20201222_2654108.html (accessed 02.12.2021).
- Pei Changhong, Liu Bin, Yang Zhiyuan. Comprehensive Competitive and Cooperative Advantage: Theoretical Explanation of the Enduring International Competitiveness of China’s Manufacturing Industry. Finance & Trade Economics, 2021, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 14-30. (In Chin.)
- Guo Guanqing. The Theory, History and Practice of Constructing a new Dual Circulation Development Pattern. Journal of Yangzhou University (Humanities & Social Sciences), 2021, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 28-40. (In Chin.)
- Huang Qunhui, Chen Chuanglian. Dynamic Coordination of Demand-side Management and Supply-side Structural Reform under the New Development Pattern. Reform, 2021, no. 3, pp. 1-13. (In Chin.)
- Huang Qunhui. A “Dual Circulation” Development Pattern: Profound Connotation, the Background and Suggestions. Journal of Beijing University of Technology (Social Sciences edition), 2021, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 9-16. (In Chin.)
- Ren Baoping, Miao Xinyu. The Path and Policy Orientation of Expanding New Consumption Demand under the Background of New Economy. Reform, 2021, no. 3, pp. 14-25. (In Chin.)
- Central Economic Work Conference is Held in Beijing. People’s Daily, 11.12.2021. (In Chin.)
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX