Abstract. The article is devoted to the analysis of the J. Biden administration policy in relation to the “green transition”, i.e. the shift from the use of fossil fuels in the economy to renewable energy sources. In the context of the B. Obama and D. Trump administrations’ attitudes to the problem of climate change, the authors study achievements and failures of the current American leadership on this path. Particular attention is paid to the obstacles faced by the Biden administration. Among them are the inability to consistently finance environmental initiatives through Congress, inconsistency in the implementation of the “Green Course” within the country, the lack of readiness of key emission countries (China, India) to actively participate in achieving the Paris climate goals, etc. In addition, the contradictions within the Democratic Party on the issue of environmental policy between the “centrists” and supporters of the “Green New Deal” program are analyzed, which consist in different stances on the role of a state in the “Green Transit”, importance of social measures, main spheres for investments, the role of America in global transit, etc. It is also pointed to the fierce opposition to the administration’s climate policy from the Republican Party. Its conservative faction is convinced that the scale, pace and role of a man in the crisis are artificially inflated by the Democrats, so there is no need to rush and resort to semi-military methods of centralized resource mobilization. Market forces, which simply must not be hindered, will cope much more successfully with the problem of the impact of warming on humans. The neoconservative group believes that the resources of humanity should be directed not to the fight against greenhouse emissions, but to economic development, which will allow the country and civilization to adapt to climate changes. It is concluded that there is a potential possibility of reaching a bipartisan consensus on climate change, but at this stage, under pressure from radical groups, this possibility seems unlikely. Therefore, in the coming years, it is questionable that the Biden administration will be able to actively promote its domestic climate agenda and new model of globalization.
Keywords: climate change, “green transition”, Biden’s administration, Democratic Party, Republican Party, progressives, centrists, conservatives, neoconservatives
- Inaugural Address by President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. The White House. January 20, 2021. Available at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/01/20/inaugural-address-by-president-joseph-r-biden-jr/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- McCarthy J. 7 Ways Obama Helped Protect the Planet from Climate Change. Global Citizen, January 18, 2017. Available at: https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/7-of-obamas-biggest-climate-change-victories/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Gross S. What is the Trump Administration’s Track Record on The Environment? Brookings Institution, August 4, 2020. Available at: https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/votervital/what-is-the-trump-administrations-track-record-on-the-environment/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- EPA Announces Enforcement Discretion Policy for COVID‑19 Pandemic. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, March 26, 2020. Available at: https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-announces-enforcement-discretion-policy-covid-19-pandemic (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Roundup: Trump-Era Agency Policy in the Courts. Institute for Policy Integrity, April 1, 2021. Available at: https://policyintegrity.org/trump-court-roundup (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Remarks by President Biden Before Signing Executive Actions on Tackling Climate Change. The White House. January 27, 2021. Available at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/01/27/remarks-by-president-biden-before-signing-executive-actions-on-tackling-climate-change-creating-jobs-and-restoring-scientific-integrity/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Lybrand H. Biden Wants Millions of Clean-Energy Related Jobs. Can It Happen? CNN, February 2, 2021. Available at: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/joe-biden-green-energy-jobs/index.html (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Meredith S. Why the World’s Largest Carbon Market Is Experiencing a Boom Like Never Before. CNBC, May 18, 2021. Available at: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/why-europes-carbon-market-is-experiencing-a-boom-like-never-before.html (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Daly M. Climate Activists Hail Dem Budget Spending on Clean Energy. AP News, July 15, 2021. Available at: https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-business-government-and-politics-climate-environment-and-nature-5b61abf9387af76ce7b5cd6723512db7 (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Biden Administration to Unveil More Climate Policies, Urges China to Toughen Emissions Target. Reuters, January 24, 2021. Available at: https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/biden-administration-unveil-more-climate-policies-urges-china-toughen-emissions-2021-01-23/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Dlouhy J., Natter A. Biden Disappoints Activists with $5.7 Billion Climate Pledge for Poor Countries. Bloomberg, 22 April, 2021. Available at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-22/biden-s-5-7-billion-climate-vow-to-developing-world-draws-ire (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Eberhart D. President Biden’s Climate Plan Is More Revolution Than Transition. Forbes, July 3, 2021. Available at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/daneberhart/2021/07/03/president-bidens-climate-plan-is-more-revolution-than-transition/?sh=56d770e459ec (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Lomborg B. Impact of Current Climate Proposals. Global Policy, February 2016, vol. 7, iss. 1, pp. 109-118.
- Trump Transcript on Paris Climate Deal Exit. Financial Times, 02.06.2017. Available at: https://ig.ft.com/trump-paris-agreement-speech-annotator/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Ward A. Biden’s New Cold War with China will Result in Climate Collapse, Progressives Warn. Politico, July 7, 2021. Available at: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/07/biden-china-climate-collapse-progressives-498588 (accessed 15.08.2021).
- A Resolution Recognizing the Duty of the Federal Government to Create A Green New Deal. U.S. Senate. February 7, 2019. Available at: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-resolution/59/text (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Weissmann J. Joe Biden Is Campaigning on the Green New Deal, Minus the Crazy. Slate, July 15, 2020. Available at: https://slate.com/business/2020/07/joe-bidens-climate-plan-is-the-green-new-deal-minus-the-crazy.html (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Aronoff K. Democrats’ Fear of the Green New Deal Is Tearing the Party Apart. The New Republic, November 20, 2020. Available at: https://newrepublic.com/article/160307/democrats-fear-green-new-deal-tearing-party-apart (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Activists Fear Biden’s Climate Pledges Are Falling Apart: “We Aren’t Seeing Grit”. The Guardian, 22.06.2021. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/22/biden-climate-change-plan-environment (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Segers G. Green New Deal Advocates See Imprint on Biden’s Climate Agenda. CBS News, May 13, 2021. Available at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/green-new-deal-influence-american-jobs-plan/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Gross S. The Challenge of Decarbonizing Heavy Industry. Brookings Institution, June 2021. Available at: https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-challenge-of-decarbonizing-heavy-industry/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Meyer R. The Green New Deal Does Not, Strictly Speaking, Exist. The Atlantic, July 13, 2021. Available at: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/07/the-green-new-deal-doesnt-exist/619424/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Gross S. Republicans in Congress are out of Step with The American Public on Climate. Brookings Institution, May 10, 2021. Available at: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/planetpolicy/2021/05/10/republicans-in-congress-are-out-of-step-with-the-american-public-on-climate/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Feulner E. Warming Up to the Cold Facts About Climate. Heritage Foundation, December 5, 2018. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/warming-the-cold-facts-about-climate (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Loris N. 4 Problems with the New Climate Change Report. Heritage Foundation, November 27, 2018. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/4-problems-the-new-climate-change-report (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Moore S. Follow the (Climate Change) Money. Heritage Foundation, December 18, 2018. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/follow-the-climate-change-money (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Michel N. Janet Yellen Should Focus on Fiscal Policy, Not Environmental Activism. Heritage Foundation, February 19, 2021. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/part-2-janet-yellen-should-focus-fiscal-policy-not-environmental-activism (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Astor M. A Crucial Test is Coming for Biden’s Climate Agenda. The New York Times, July 8, 2021. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/us/politics/biden-climate-agenda.html (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Loris N. Climate Alarmists Admit They Want to Dismantle Our Free-Enterprise System. Heritage Foundation, October 11, 2018. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/climate-alarmists-admit-they-want-dismantle-our-free-enterprise-system (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Loris N. On Climate Change, Government-Centric Approach Will Hurt U. S.A. With Unintended Consequences. Heritage Foundation, January 28, 2021. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/climate-change-government-centric-approach-will-hurt-usa-unintended (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Tubb K. It’s Time for Climate Realism When It Comes to China. Heritage Foundation, May 27, 2021. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/its-time-climate-realism-when-it-comes-china (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Heritage Experts Help Shape Policy Issues in Testimony Before Congress. Heritage Foundation, May 14, 2021. Available at: https://www.heritage.org/impact/heritage-experts-help-shape-policy-issues-testimony-congress (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Zycher B. Leaving Paris: One and a Half Cheers for President Trump. American Enterprise Institute, June 2, 2017. Available at: https://www.aei.org/articles/leaving-paris-one-and-a-half-cheers-for-president-trump/ (accessed 15.08.2021).
- Zycher B. The Case for Climate Change Realism. National Affair, June 21, 2021. Available at: https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/the-case-for-climate-change-realism (accessed 15.08.2021).
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX