Acknowledgements. The article has been supported by a grant of the Russian Science Foundation. Project № 19-18-00165 “Eurasian ideology as a unifying ideology for the EAEU and SCO countries”.
Abstract. The article describes the integration processes that developed in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) in the 2000s, which culminated in the formation of the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU). The purpose of the article is to determine the main directions of the EAEU development through the prism of country preferences of the participants of this integration association: Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Russia. The specifics of the involvement of these countries in the Eurasian integration processes in the CIS help to understand better the scale of the EAEU’s activities, its specifics, which is important for determining both the prospects for the development of the EAEU and the country dimension of Eurasian integration. The formation of the EAEU was preceded by the formation of the Customs Union (CU) and the Common Economic Space (CES), which generally corresponded to the algorithm that was present in world practice when creating large integration associations. The locomotives of the Eurasian integration process were initially Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus, which demonstrated the highest level of economic and political interaction in the CIS. In conclusion, the main prospects for the country development of the EAEU and Eurasian integration in general are shown. The EAEU promises certain benefits to the states that are part of such an association. In addition, there is a certain political context here – as a result of closer integration, the EAEU states will become less susceptible to crises and the emergence of conflict situations. Like any integration association, the EAEU faces many problems and challenges, both external and internal. It is not always possible to overcome them completely, but the countries-members of the Union are making significant efforts to this, which in the future should give positive results in strengthening this integration project in Eurasia.
Keywords: Eurasian Integration, the Eurasian Economic Union, Great Eurasian Partnership, the country development, the Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, integration processes
- Sultanov B.K., ed. Kazakhstan’s way – 2050. Book 3: A Consistent and Predictable Foreign Policy. Collective monograph. Almaty, KISI under the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2014. 308 p. (In Russ.)
- Syroezhkin K.L. Deepening of Comprehensive Strategic Cooperation of the Republic of Kazakhstan with the People’s Republic of China. Concept of foreign policy of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2014–2020 and tasks for its implementation: materials of the round table. Sultanov B.K., ed. Almaty, Kazakhstan Institute for Strategic Studies under the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2014, pp. 54-60. (In Russ.)
- The Customs Code of the EAEU. (In Russ.) Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/ document/456058064 (accessed 02.07.2021).
- Eurasian Economic Union. (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.eurasiancommission.org/ru/Pages/ses.aspx (accessed 02.07.2021).
- Address of the President of Russia to the Heads of the Member States of the Eurasian Economic Union. 18.01.2018. (In Russ.) Available at: http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/56663 (accessed 03.07.2021).
- The EAEU has Increased the Share of the Ruble in Mutual Settlements to 70%. TASS, 23.06.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://tass.ru/ekonomika/11724735 (accessed 03.07.2021).
- The Message of the President to the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation. 03.12.2015. (In Russ.) Available at: http://kremlin.ru/events/president/news/50864 (accessed 04.07.2021).
- Tokayev Named Five Priorities for the Development of the EAEU. 21.01.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://eabr.org/press/news/tokaev-nazval-pyat-prioritetov-dlya-razvitiya-eaes/ (accessed 04.07.2021).
- The EAEU has a Huge Potential, Nazarbayev Said. RIA News, 25.05.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://ria.ru/20210521/nazarbaev-1733289602.html (accessed 04.07.2021).
- The Main Socio-economic Indicators. Bureau of National Statistics. Agency for Strategic Planning and Reforms of the Republic of Kazakhstan. (In Russ.) Available at: https://stat.gov.kz/ (accessed 04.07.2021).
- Trade Structure by Partner. UNCTAD Stat. Available: https://stat.gov.kz/ (accessed 05.07.2021).
- Kazakhstan. EDB investment portfolio. Eurasian Development Bank. 01.10.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://eabr.org/about/states-participants/kazakhstan (accessed 06.07.2021).
- Dosym Satpayev: Kazakhstan has Driven Itself into a Trap, the Way out of which Can be Very Expensive. KazTAG, 04.16.2018. (In Russ.) Available at: https://kaztag.kz/ru/interview/dosym-satpaev-kazakhstan-zagnal-sebya-v-lovushku-vykhod-iz-kotoroy-mozhet-stoit-ochen-dorogo (accessed 06.07.2021).
- President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev: There is no Concept of “National Minority” in Kazakhstan. Komsomol’skaya Pravda, 03.06.2020. (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.kp.ru/daily/27137/4228949/ (accessed 05.07.2021).
- Kuz’mina E. Is the Belarusian Economy an Ally or an Opponent of Lukashenka? Sputnik.by, 06.07.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://sputnik.by/20200903/Ekonomika-Belarusi-soyuznik-ili-protivnik-Lukashenko-1045598009.html?mobile_return=no (accessed 06.07.2021).
- Eurasian Fund for Stabilization and Development, EFSD. (In Russ.) Available at: https://efsd.eabr.org/about/ (accessed 06.07.2021).
- Igor Petrishenko – About the Results of Belarus’ Chairmanship in the EAEU Bodies, the Common Markets of the Union and the Elimination of Barriers and Restrictions. IA Pravo.by, 05.01.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://pravo.by/novosti/obshchestvenno-politicheskie-i-v-oblasti-prava/2021/january/58137/ (accessed 08.07.2021).
- Strategic Directions for the Development of the Eurasian Economic Integration until 2025. 11.12.2020. (In Russ.) Available at: https://eec.eaeunion.org/comission/department/dep_razv_integr/strategicheskie-napravleniya-razvitiya.php (accessed 09.07.2021).
- The EU said that it Regrets the Decision of Minsk to Leave the Eastern Partnership Program. TASS, 28.06.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/11773207 (accessed 09.07.2021).
- Asryan G. Armenia has been in the Union under the Leadership of Russia for 5 Years. What the Country Received and did not Receive from the EAEU. IA JAM-news, 06.02.2020. (In Russ.) Available at: https://jam-news.net/ru/армения-5-лет-в-союзе-действующем-под-л/ (accessed 10.07.2021).
- Armenia has Succeeded in Depriving Turkey of Tariff Preferences in the EAEU. 05.03.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://eadaily.com/ru/news/2021/03/05/armeniya-dobilas-lisheniya-turcii-tarifnyh-preferenciy-v-eaes (accessed 11.07.2021).
- The Eurasian Economic Commission Assessed the Expansion of the Partnership between Armenia and the EU. TASS, 01.03.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: https://tass.ru/ekonomika/10800317 (accessed 10.07.2021).
- MacMillan S. Coups and “Color Revolutions”: US Wages Geopolitical Warfare against Russia in Central Asia and Caucasus. Global Research, 09.04.2015. Available at: https://www.globalresearch.ca/coups-and-color-revolutions-us-wages-geopolitical-warfare-against-russiain-central-asia-and-caucasus/5441969 (accessed 12.07.2021).
- The Kyrgyz Republic is in the Eurasian Economic Union. The first results. Moscow, 2018. 88 p. (In Russ.)
- Russian-Kyrgyz Development Fund. Official website. (In Russ.) Available at: https://rkdf.org/ru/o_nas (accessed 14.07.2021).
- Kazakhstan has Returned almost 500 Tons of Products from Kyrgyzstan. 29.10.2017. (In Russ.) Available at: https://ru.sputnik.kg/asia/20171029/1036056269/kazahstanzapretil-sbyt-pochti-500-tonn-produkcii-iz-kyrgyzstana.html (accessed 14.07.2021).
- Meeting with the President of Kyrgyzstan Sadyr Zhaparov. 24.02.2021. (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/65069 (accessed 15.07.2021).
- Regulations on the Observer Status at the Eurasian Economic Union. 14.05.2018. 3 p. (In Russ.) Available at: https://docs.cntd.ru/document/557449050 (accessed 16.07.2021).
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX