Acknowledgements. The article has been supported by the “RUDN University Program 5–100”.
Abstract. Adaptation and integration of migrants are the final stages of the migration process, the quality of which largely determines the final result: either serious socio-economic problems will arise that threaten the security of host societies, or migration will contribute to the socio-economic development of host countries. The dependence of migration results on the final stages of migration processes necessitates the implementation of effective adaptation and integration policies by states. In the scientific literature, the terms “adaptation” and “integration” are most often used as synonyms. However, this approach makes it difficult to develop common ideas about the essence of the processes of adaptation and integration of migrants. All this gave rise to theoretical uncertainty regarding these phenomena, led to scientific disagreements that impeded the formation of an effective state policy of adaptation and integration, and complicated the development of scientifically-based programs for solving acute problems in the migration sphere. And as a consequence of this, the problem of a separate theoretical understanding of the above concepts has become actualized. The purpose of the article is to theoretically substantiate the essence and content of the processes of adaptation and integration of migrants, the state policy of adaptation and the state policy of integration, and thereupon to create a scientific methodological base intended for future use in the state migration policy of the Russian Federation and other countries. The authors set the tasks: to analyze theoretical approaches to the study of the phenomena of adaptation and integration of migrants; to formulate the concepts of “adaptation”, “integration”, “state policy of adaptation”, “state policy of integration”; to present the authors’ vision of these phenomena and identify the relationship between them.
Keywords: migration processes, adaptation, integration, integration strategies, migration policy, security, host society, multiculturalism
1. Tsapenko I. Transformatsii global’noi migratsii naseleniya [Transformations of Global Migration]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2018, vol. 62, no. 8, ðð. 65-76. Available at: https://doi.org/10.20542/0131-2227-2018-62-8-65-76
2. Endryushko A.A. Teoreticheskie podkhody k izucheniyu adaptatsii migrantov v prinimayushchem obshchestve: zarubezhnyi opyt [Theoretical approaches to the study of the adaptation of migrants in the host society: foreign experience]. Bulletin of the Institute of Sociology, 2017, no. 23, ðð. 45-70. DOI: https://doi.org/10.19181/vis.2017.23.4.480
3. Shenfeldt A. The European Development Response to the Refugee and Migration Crisis. International Organisations Research Journal, 2018, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 195-212. DOI: 10.17323/1996-7845-2018-04-09
4. Bernard À. Levels and patterns of internal migration in Europe: A cohort perspective. Population Studies, 2018, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 293-311. DOI: 10.1080/00324728.2017.1360932
5. Preibisch Ê., Warren D. Pursuing the capabilities approach within the migration–development nexus. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 2017, vol. 42, iss. 13, ðð. 1-17. DOI: 10.1080/1369183X.2016.1176523
6. Piper N., Withers M. Forced transnationalism and temporary labour migration: implications for understanding migrant rights. Identities, 2018, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 558-575. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/1070289X.2018.1507957 (accessed 20.04.2020)
7. Prudnikova T.A. Adaptatsiya i integratsiya migrantov v rossiiskoe obshchestvo kak factor preduprezhdeniya nezakonnoi migratsii [Adaptation and integration of migrants in Russian society as a factor in preventing illegal migration]. Bulletin of Economic Security, 2016, no. 1, ðð. 203-206.
8. Tobias G. Eule. The (surprising?) nonchalance of migration control agents. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 2018, vol. 44, no. 16, pp. 2780-2795. DOI: 10.1080/1369183X.2017.1401516
9. McCollum D. Oiling the wheels? Flexible labour markets and the migration industry. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 2018, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 558-574. DOI: 10.1080/1369183X.2017.1315505
10. Potudanskaya V.F., Borovskikh N.V., Kipervar E.A. Labor migration in the region: Assessment, forecasting, approaches to management. Journal of Social Sciences Research, 2018, Special Issue 3, ðð. 2413-6670. DOI: 10.32861/jssr.spi3.256.264
11. Van Hear N., Bakewell Î., Long Ê. Push-pull plus: reconsidering the drivers of migration. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 2017, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1-18. DOI: 10.1080/1369183X.2017.1384135
12. Karachurina L., Mkrtchyan N. Age-specific net migration patterns in the municipal formations of Russia. GeoJournal, 2018, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 119-136. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-016-9757-4
13. Tatarko A.N. Social Capital and Acculturation Strategies as Factors of Socio-Cultural Adaptation of Migrants from Central and Central Asia in the Moscow Region. Cultural-Historical Psychology, 2018, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 33-43. DOI: 10.17759/chp.2018140204
14. Redfield R., Linton R., Herskovits M.J. Memorandum for the Study of Acculturation. American Anthropologist, 1936, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 149-152.
15. Berry J. Immigration, acculturation, and adaptation. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 1997, no. 46 (1), pp. 5-34.
16. Kim Y.Y. Adapting to a new culture: An integrative communication theory. Theorizing about intercultural communication. Gudykunst W., ed. Thousand Oaks, Sage, 2005, pp. 375-400.
17. Rybakovskii L.L. Istoriya i teoriya migratsii naseleniya. Kn. 2. Migratsiya naseleniya: yavlenie, ponyatie, determinant [History and theory of population migration. Vol. 2. Population migration: phenomenon, concept, determinants]. Moscow, Econ-Inform, 2017. 234 p.
18. Ryazantsev S.V. Integratsiya migrantov v kontekste vneshnei migratsionnoi politiki Rossii [Integration of migrants in the context of Russia’s foreign migration policy]. Sociological Studies, 2018, no. 1, ðð. 105-111.
19. Ledeneva V.Yu. Modeli sotsial’noi adaptatsii i integratsii migrantov [Models of social adaptation and integration of migrants]. Moscow, Sputnik +, 2014. 145 ð.
20. Iontsev V.A. Voprosy teorii i praktiki adaptatsii i integratsii migrantov na evraziiskom prostranstve [Issues of theory and practice of adaptation and integration of migrants in the Eurasian space]. Sbornik materialov Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoprakticheskoi konferentsii [Collection of materials of the International scientific-practical conference]. Stavropol’, SKFU, 2016, pp. 5-10.
21. Malakhov V.S. Integratsiya migrantov: kontseptsii i praktiki [Migrant Integration: Concepts and Practices]. Moscow, Fond “Liberal’naya Missiya”, 2015. 272 ð.
22. Ivakhnyuk I.V. Nekotorye metodologicheskie i prakticheskie voprosy politiki integratsii migrantov v Rossii [Some methodological and practical issues of the policy of integration of migrants in Russia.] Integratsiya migrantov: vozmozhna li ona v sovremennom obshchestve? [Integration of migrants: is it possible in the contemporary world?] Scientific Series “International Migration of Population: Russia and Contemporary World”, vol. 29. Moscow, Lomonosov Moscow State University, 2015, pp. 8-28.
23. Tishkov V.A., ed. Migratsiya i mezhnatsional’nye otnosheniya: resurs gosudarstvenno-obshchestvennogo partnerstva v Rossii [Migration and interethnic relations: a resource of state-public partnership in Russia]. Moscow, Institut etnologii i antropologii RAN, 2019. 261 ð.
24. Kononov L.A. Protsessy adaptatsii i integratsii migrantov, ikh vliyanie na natsional’nuyu bezopasnost’ Rossiiskoi Federatsii [The processes of adaptation and integration of migrants, their impact on the national security of the Russian Federation]. Sbornik ekspertnoanaliticheskikh dokladov [Collection of expert analytical reports]. Moscow, RGGU, 2019, ðð. 7-52.
25. Dekhanova N.G., Ledeneva V.Yu. Sotsiokul’turnaya adaptatsiya i integratsiya migrantov: osnovnye problemy i rol’ gosudarstvennykh organov vlasti [Sociocultural adaptation and integration of migrants: the main problems and the role of state authorities]. Sbornik ekspertno-analiticheskikh dokladov [Collection of expert analytical reports]. Moscow, RGGU, 2019, ðð. 53-84.
26. Tormosheva V. Global’naya (im)mobil’nost’ v zerkale postmodernistskikh transformatsii: politicheskii aspect [Global (im)mobility in the mirror of postmodern transformations: a political aspect]. Sociological Review, 2018, vol. 17, no. 3, ðð. 329-345.
27. Prudnikova T.A. Adaptatsiya i integratsiya migrantov v rossiiskoe obshchestvo kak factor preduprezhdeniya nezakonnoi migratsii [Adaptation and integration of migrants in Russian society as a factor in preventing illegal migration]. Vestnik ekonomicheskoi bezopasnosti, 2016, no. 2, ðð. 203-206.
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX