Abstract. The main topic of the study is the social responsibility of religious organizations, the specific features of which are investigated on the example of individual dioceses of the State Christian Church of England. The goal is to analyze the leading ways of advancing of the indicated type of economic activity, to identify instruments for the implementation of social responsibility by a foreign religious institute on the territory of structural units of a regional level – dioceses. The main hypothesis of the study is that religious organizations, implementing a variety of activities within the framework of social responsibility, play a significant role in the economy of the region, largely taking on the social obligations of the state. To achieve the goal and confirm the statement, methods of analysis of actual and economic-statistical information and comparative comparison were used. The main findings of the study can be useful both in the realization of inter-confessional contacts and in the formulation of strategy for the development of state-religious relations in Russia, where the social and economic role of religious organizations is increasing. One of the distinguishing features of social responsibility of the Anglican Church organizations is implementing environment protection goals as one of the important directions in their social work. This part of social responsibility of religious institutions in our country is rarely embodied. The experience and model of managing social responsibility issues by the dioceses of the Church of England can be useful for Russian religious institutions aiming to build more successful and constructive partnership with the state.
Keywords: Religious Organization, Economic Activity, Social Responsibility, State Christian Church of England
- Manakov A.G., Dement’ev V.S. Territorial’naya struktura konfessional’nogo prostranstva yugo-vostochnoi chasti Baltiiskogo regiona [Territorial structure of confessional space in the South-Eastern part of the Baltic region]. Baltic Region, 2019, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 92-108. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5922/2078-8555-2019-1-7
- Chiruk S.V. Vliyanie religioznogo faktora na demograficheskie protsessy [Influence of the religious factor on demographic processes]. Teoretiko-prikladnye aspekty sotsial’no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya stran Tsentral’noi Azii i SNG [Theoretical and methodological bases of historical and demographic research of socio-economic development in Central Asia and the CIS]. Sbornik materialov mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. Vol. 1. Almaty, Tsentr operativnoi pechati KazATiSO, 2013, ðð. 242-252.
- Peri Rotem N. Religion and fertility in Western Europe: trends across cohorts in Britain, France and the Netherlands. European Journal of Population, 2016, no. 2, pp. 231-265.
- Kanunnikov A.A. Tserkvi i religioznye organizatsii: uchastie v evropeiskom integratsionnom protsesse [Churches and religious organizations: participation in the European integration process]. The Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Series “Political Science and Religion Studies”, 2017, no. 20, pp. 121-129.
- Laughlin R.C. Accounting in its Social Context: An Analysis of the Accounting Systems of the Church of England. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 1988, no. 1, pp. 19-42. DOI: 10.1108/EUM0000000004622. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/242349417_Accounting_in_its_Social_Context_An_Analysis_of_the_Accounting_Systems_of_the_Church_of_England (accessed 09.07.2020).
- Sokolovskaya O.V. Sotsial’naya rol’ khristianskikh tserkvei v sfere obshchestvennogo pravosoznaniya [The social role of Christian churches in the sphere of public legal awareness]. Omsk scientific Bulletin, 2013, no. 2 (116), pp. 118-121.
- Bogatova O.A., Dolgaeva E.I., Mitrofanova A.V. Deyatel’nost’ sotsial’no orientirovannykh organizatsii Russkoi pravoslavnoi tserkvi: regional’nye aspekty [Activities of socially oriented organizations of the Russian Orthodox Church: regional aspects]. Regionology, 2019, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 489-512. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15507/2413-1407.107.027.201903.489-512
- Gogin A.A., Gogina V.N. Pravovye aspekty ekonomicheskoi deyatel’nosti religioznykh organizatsii: proshloe i nastoyashchee [Legal aspects of economic activity of religious organizations: past and present]. Bulletin of the V.N. Tatishchev Volga state University, 2018, no. 2, pp. 13-21.
- Gorislavskaya N.V. Osobennosti ekonomicheskogo analiza deyatel’nosti religioznykh organizatsii [Features of economic analysis of the activities of religious organizations]. Bulletin of the Astrakhan state technical University, Seriya: Ekonomika, 2014, no. 4, pp. 85-91.
- Kudryashov S.M. Shvedskaya model’ tserkovno-gosudarstvennykh otnoshenii [Swedish model of Church-state relations]. Man and Culture, 2013, no. 4, pp. 53-80. DOI: 10.7256/2306-1618.2013.4.1452
- Makris G., Bekridakis D. The Greek Orthodox Church and the Economic Crisis Since 2009. International Journal for the Study of the Christian Church, 2013, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 111-132. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/1474225X.2013.793055
- Social service of the Orthodox Church: problems, practices, prospects. Materialy nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii. 13–14 June 2019. SPb., TsRKiSO. 374 p. (In Russ.)
- Last D.A. Keis-metod dlya ekonomicheskikh i biznes issledovanii [Case-method for economic and business research]. The bulletin of the Far Eastern Federal University. Economics and Management, 2015, no. 4, pp. 17-26.
- Bowen H.R. Social Responsibilities of the Businessman. New York, Harper and Row, 1953. 276 p.
- Wood D. Corporate social performance revisited. Academy of Management Review, 1991, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 691-718.
- Preston L., Post J. Private management and public policy: the principal of public responsibility. New York, Prentice Hall, 1975. 192 p.
- Yankovskaya A.A. Institutsional’naya sreda sotsial’noi otvetstvennosti predpriyatiya: teoretiko-ekonomicheskii analiz [Institutional environment of social responsibility of the enterprise: theoretical and economic analysis]. Avtoref. dis. kand. ekon. nauk. Sankt-Peterburg, 2008. 18 ð. Available at: https://search.rsl.ru/ru/record/01003455582 (accessed 09.02.2020).
- Khulap V., Aster I.V., eds. Diakoniya kak instrument konstruirovaniya grazhdanskogo obshchestva i formirovaniya sotsial’noi otvetstvennosti [Diakonia as a tool for the construction of civil society and formation of social responsibility]. Sotsial’noe sluzhenie Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi [Social service of the Russian Orthodox Church]. SPb., SPbGIPSR, 2014. Available at: http://social-orthodox.info/6_3.htm#_ftn19 (accessed 01.02.2020).
- Ramsay L. The Church of England, Homosexual Law Reform, and the Shaping of the Permissive Society, 1957–1979. Journal of British Studies, 2018, no. 57 (1), pp. 108-137. DOI: 10.1017/jbr.2017.180
- Vasey-Saunders Ì. The Scandal of Evangelicals and Homosexuality: English Evangelical Texts, 1960–2010. Abingdon, Routledge, 2015. 258 p.
- Scharlemann M.H. The church’s social responsibilities. St Louis, Missouri, Concordia Pub. House, 1971. 99 p.
- Kettell S. Social Capital and Religion in the United Kingdom. Faith-Based Organizations and Social Welfare. Palgrave Studies in Religion, Politics, and Policy. Manuel P., Glatzer M., eds. London, Palgrave Macmillan, 2019, pp. 185-203. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77297-4_8.
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX