Abstract. Considering income is a key point for most people’s well- being, the article is focusing on the role of economic situation in the country and government policy transfers to meet American household’s expenses under pandemic. While economic trends being quite positive for the well-being of most adults before pandemic, it has become a serious problem for them during COVID‑19 stress. The economic well-being of the American households depends mainly on wages; with dividends, percent, rent income and government transfers coming by. The government programs have been of great importance for personal incomes support, but the uncertainty of the economic recovery demands to continue providing needed relief to Americans. Meanwhile continuing extraordinary budget spending for providing relief to American families and communities have turned out in the highest – since the middle of the last century – federal budget deficit. After President Biden in March signed into law the American Rescue Plan, this financial year budget’s deficit may even exceed the previous one. President Biden’s proposals may also represent important steps toward increasing tax revenues by making wealthy people to pay more fair amount of taxes on their income; raising the top marginal income tax rate, requiring. But, it would depend on changing current laws regulating taxes. The article also highlights continuing financial concerns for many households facing uncertainty of economic recovery, and especially challenges for those who lack savings, government transfers. It is pointing out that at the beginning of the Biden’s presidency the percentage of Americans who worry a great deal about hunger, homelessness as the consequences of poverty, unemployment has been rising. The financial security of the households will depend on the economic situation; the government policy to meet income declines and provide greater income stability through increased social insurance.
Keywords: USÀ, social security, personal incomes, government transfers, coronavirus pandemic
1. Personal Income and Its Disposition. BEA. Available at: https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm?reqid=19&step=2#reqid=19&step=2&isuri=1&1921=survey (accessed 11.05.2021).
2. Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households (2020). Available at: https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/2019-report-economic-well-being-us-households-202005.pdf (accessed 20.12.2020).
3. Jones J. U.S. Stock Ownership Down Among All but Older, Higher-Income. 24.05.2017. Available at: https://news.gallup.com/poll/211052/stock-ownership-down-among-older-higher-income.aspx (accessed 20.12.2020).
4. Mccarthy J. Stock Investments Lose Some Luster After COVID‑19 Sell-Off (2020). 24.04.2020. Available at: https://news.gallup.com/poll/309233/stock-investments-lose-luster-covid-sell-off.aspx (accessed 20.11.2020).
5. Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (2020). Available at: https://uslaw.link/citation/us-law/public/116/136 (accessed 20.11.2020).
6. Update on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households: July 2020. Available at: https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/2020-update-supplemental-appendixes-report-economic-well-being-us-households-overview.htm (àccessed 20.12.2020).
7. Jones J. Half in U.S. Plan to Spend Relief Money on Bills, Essentials (2020). 14.04.2020. Available at: https://news.gallup.com/poll/308177/half-plan-spend-relief-money-bills-essentials.aspx (accessed 20.12.2020).
8. The Annual Report of the Board of Trustees of the Federal Old-àge and Survivors Insurance and Federal Disability Insurance Trust Funds. Available at: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TR/2020/tr2020.pdf (accessed 15.12.2020).
9. Memorandum on Authorizing the Other Needs Assistance Program for Major Disaster Declarations Related to Coronavirus Disease (2020). White House. August 8. Available at: https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/memorandum-authorizing-needs-assistance-program-major-disaster-declarations-related-coronavirus-disease-2019/ (accessed 05.05.2021).
10. Projections of Poverty and Program Eligibility during the COVID‑19 Pandemic. Washington, US Department of Health and Human Services, October 2020. Available at: https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/pdf/264151/poverty-program-eligibility-covid.pdf (accessed 15.01.2021).
11. Income and Poverty in the United States. Washington, GPO, September 2020. 88 p.
12. The American Families Plan. Fact Sheet. 28.04.2021. Available at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statementsreleases/2021/04/28/fact-sheet-the-american-families-plan/ (accessed 06.05.2021).
13. Remarks as Prepared for Delivery by President Biden to a Joint Session of Congress. (2021). 28.04.2021. Available at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/04/28/excerpts-from-remarks-as-prepared-for-delivery-by-president-biden-to-a-joint-session-of-congress/ (accessed 06.05.2021).
14. Additional Information àbout the Budget Outlook: 2021 to 2031. Available at: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2021-03/56996-budget-outlook.pdf (accessed 06.05.2021).
15. New Budget Projections Show Record Deficits and Debt. CRFB, March 2021. Available at: https://www.crfb.org/blogs/new-budget-projections-show-record-deficits-and-debt (accessed 06.05.2021).
16. Lebedeva L. Creating Jobs under Trump’s Policy: Priorities, Realities and Risks. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2018, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 77-86. (In Russ.) Available at: https://doi.org/10.20542/0131-2227-2018-62-11-77-86
17. Tax Cuts and Jobs Act 2017. Available at: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-a-comparison-for-businesses (accessed 06.02.2021).
18. Biden Proposals Would Reduce Large Tax Advantages for Those at the Top, Address Tax Gap. 11.05.2021. Available at: https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/biden-proposals-would-reduce-large-tax-advantages-for-those-at-the-top-address (accessed 12.05.2021).
19. Saad L. Biden Job Approval a Respectable 57% at 100 Days. 23.04.2021. Available at: https://news.gallup.com/poll/348974/biden-job-approval-respectable-100-days.aspx (accessed 08.05.2021).
20. Brenan M. Record-High Worry in U. S. About Hunger, Race Relations. 26.03.2021. Available at: https://news.gallup.com/poll/341954/record-high-worry-hunger-race-relations.aspx (accessed 08.05.2021).
21. Razumova T., Sadovaya E.S., Chubarova T. The New Social Landscape of the Digital Age: Lessons from the Pandemic. Analysis and Forecasting. IMEMO Journal, 2020, no. 3, ðð. 24-34. (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.afjournal.ru/en/index.php?page_id=317#
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX