Abstract. The article analyzes the withstanding of two worldviews – traditionalism and anti-traditionalism – in the context of international relations. The authors define the ideology of the modern liberal order as anti-traditionalism (the new type of liberalism). Its basic feature is an intention to overcome every identity. The “liberal revolution” of the second half of the 20th century step by step formed the values that were recognized at the international level as fundamental (those are first of all the rights of minorities, liberalization of immigration policy, the values of globalism), or all human values which could not be discussed. The traditionalist worldview is not limited to the “populism” or “nationalism” as often represented in mass-media, but has more deep roots traced back to defending the sovereignty of states, societies, cultures, religions and identity as a basic idea instead of globalization of values. In 2010s it became evident that the struggle of anti-traditionalists and traditionalists already exists between the states. On that ideological ground, the U.S. president D. Trump opposes to his liberal critics inside and outside the country. On the same ground the traditionalist governments of Poland and Hungary, politicians in Italy oppose to the symbol of the new liberalism – the European Union structures. Russia has become one of the world’s centers of the traditionalist ideology defending the sovereignty against the new liberalism. The conservatives from Europe and the USA (the “League” from Italy, “Alternative for Germany”, “National Front” from France, conservatives around D. Trump, etc.) perceive Russia as a more monolith and united force, while in other European countries traditionalists rather dissociate. In international relations, traditionalists feel themselves as still defending and retreating side but that only escalate the struggle.
Keywords: liberalism, traditionalism, anti-traditionalism, problems of indentity, nationalism, sovereignty, international relations
- Kundera Milan. Narushennye zaveshchaniya [Broken Testimonies]. Spb., Azbuka-Attikus, 2014. 232 p.
- General Congress Resolution XX Congress of the Socialist International. New York 9–11 September 1996. Available at: https://www.socialistinternational.org/congresses/xx-congress-of-the-socialist-international-new-york/general-congress-resolution/ (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Governance in a Global Society – The Social Democratic Approach. XXII Congress of the Socialist International. São Paulo, 27–29 October 2003. Available at: https://www.socialistinternational.org/congresses/xxii-congress-of-the-socialist-international-sao-paulo/governance-in-a-global-society-%e2%80%93-the-social-democratic-approach/ (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Baker P. ‘Use That Word!’: Trump Embraces the ‘Nationalist’ Label. The New York Times, 23.10.2018. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/us/politics/nationalist-president-trump.html (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Baiden: the LGBT rights are higher than culture and traditions. Voice of America, 25.06.2014 (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.golos-ameriki.ru/a/biden-says-he-doesnt-care-about-national-cultures-in-promoting-gay-rights/1944338.html (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Smyth T. Freedom and liberal democracy must return to States. The Irish Times, 22.06.2018. Available at: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/freedom-and-liberal-democracy-must-return-to-states-1.3539276 (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Selimova F. Ital’yanskuyu pravyashchuyu koalitsiyu mogut raskolot’ rossiiskie den’gi [The Italian ruling coalition may be split by Russian money]. Nezavisimaya gazeta, 24.07.2019. Available at: https://yandex.ru/turbo?text=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ng.ru%2Fworld%2F2019-07-24%2F7_7631_italia.html (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Akopov P. Italiya prizyvaet revolyutsiyu na golovu Makrona [Italy calls for revolution on Macron’s head]. Vzglyad, 07.02.2019. Available at: https://vz.ru/politics/2019/2/7/963184.html (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Sanders B. Future of the international left. A new authoritarian axis demands an international progressive front. The Guardian, 13.09.2018. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/ng-interactive/2018/sep/13/bernie-sanders-international-progressive-front (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Adler D., Judah B. Traditional ‘foreign policy’ no longer exists. Democrats are the last to know. The Guardian, 02.12.2019. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/02/traditional-foreign-policy-no-longer-exists-democrats-are-the-last-to-know (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Putin and Orban sum up the negotiations. International Affairs, 30.10.2019. (In Russ.) Available at: https://interaffairs.ru/news/show/24332 (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Alekseenkova E. Italiya–ES: otkaz politiki “suverennoi izolyatsii”? [Italy’s European Policy: back from “Sovereign Isolation”?] Nauchno-analiticheskii vestnik IE RAN, 2019, no. 5, pp. 10-15. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15211/vestnikieran520191015
- Stubley P. Steve Bannon to set up ‘The Movement’ foundation to boost far-right across Europe. Donald Trump’s former chief strategist wants to ‘spark a right-wing revolution’. The Independent, 22.07.2018. Available at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/steve-bannon-moving-europe-movement-foundation-far-right-wing-politics-george-soros-a8458641.html (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Retteman A. Salvini invokes God and Russia on Poland trip. EU Observer, 10.01.2019. Available at: https://euobserver.com/eu-election/143864 (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Plotnikova A. Parlamentskie vybory v Pol’she – ozhidaemyi itog s nebol’shimi syurprizami [Parliamentary elections in Poland – the expected result with small surprises]. Voice of America, 14.10.2019. Available at: https://www.golos-ameriki.ru/a/poland-elections-experts/5123492.html (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Stremidlovskii C. Vengriya pereigryvaet Pol’shu za vliyanie v ES i mire [Hungary getting ahead Poland for the influence in EU and in the world]. Regnum, 20.12.2019. Available at: https://regnum.ru/news/polit/2813378.html (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Borger J., Walker S. Trump lauds Hungary’s nationalist PM Orbán for ‘tremendous job’. The Guardian, 13.05.2019. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/13/trump-latest-viktor-orban-hungary-prime-minister-white-house (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Belyaninov K. Demokraticheskaya partiya vzyalas’ za debaty [Democratic Party moves on debates]. Kommersant”, 28.06.2019. Available at: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4013663?from=doc_vrez (accessed 26.01.2019).
- Saad L. Majority of Americans Now Consider Russia a Critical Threat. Gallup, 27.02.2019. Available at: https://news.gallup.com/poll/247100/majority-americans-consider-russia-critical-threat.aspx (accessed 26.01.2019).
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX