D. Kazarinova (firstname.lastname@example.org),
RUDN University, 6, Miklukho-Maklaya Str., Moscow, 117198, Russian Federation;
Gabriele De Luca (email@example.com),
RUDN University, 6, Miklukho-Maklaya Str., Moscow, 117198, Russian Federation
Acknowledgments. The article has been supported by a grant of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR). Project no. 19-011-00825A “Value-Political Contexts of Educational Migration”.
In this paper, the authors base on comprehensive approach matching quantitative and qualitative study of political discourse in the field of migration. They report an experiment that they conducted, in which a model for the monitoring of the impact of immigration on the Italian political discourse was developed and tested. The model comprises of a program that performs semantic analysis on a collection of retrieved political speeches related to the phenomenon of immigration, given by two key decision-makers for the immigration policies of Italian public administrations: M. Salvini, the current Minister of Internal Affairs in 2018–2019, and S. Martello, the mayor of the island of Lampedusa. The technique used, the so-called bag-of-words, falls under the established techniques in the sector of natural language processing for the automatic extraction of features from texts. The results obtained by the model were then compared with those accessible through surveys and statistics published by other research on the same phenomenon. Our results are consistent with the findings that derive from the application of other methodologies to the study of immigration. The authors thus believe it might be possible to develop in the future a larger model that allows the monitoring of variations in the attitude towards immigration as a function of the variation in the content of political speeches, and in the results of surveys conducted on the sentiment of the general population on the subject. In its current status, the model allows a data-driven identification of the most prominent factors that influence the minds of political decision-makers with regards to the phenomenon of immigration. In particular, it is determined in the paper whether such factors are primarily socio-cultural or socio-economic factors.
migration, crisis, semantic analysis, discourse analysis, Lampedusa syndrome, Salvini ultimatum, Italy, Martello, Salvini, bag-of-words
1. Shibkova M. Vozniknovenie i evolyutsiya partiinogo evroskeptitsizma kak fenomena politicheskoi zhizni Italii [Emergence and evolution of Euroscepticism as a political phenomenon in Italy]. Vestnik RUDN. International Relations, 2018, no. 1, pp. 19-32. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.22363/2313-0660-2018-18-1-19-32
2. Lucarelli S. Italy and the EU: From True Love to Disenchantment? Journal of Common Market Studies, 2015, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 40-60. DOI:10.1111/jcms.12274
3. Il’in S. Italiya: chto noven’kogo v “laboratorii” ES? [Italy: what’s new in the “laboratory” of the EU?]. All Europe, 2018, no. 6 (131). Available at: http://alleuropa.ru/?p=15653 (accessed 05.11.2019).
4. Rodrik D. The Globalization Paradox. New York, WW Norton & Company, Inc., 2011. 368 р.
5. Goffe N. Italiya v zerkale migratsionnykh problem [Italy in the mirror of migration issues]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2017, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 77-88. DOI:10.20542/0131-2227-2017-61-9-77-88
6. Dixon T., Hawkins S., Heijbroek L., Juan-Torres M., Demoures F.-X. Attitudes towards National Identity, Immigration and Refugees in Italy. More in Common, 2018. Available at: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a70a7c3010027736a22740f/t/5b5852700e2e72de2784d45d/1532514941303/Italy+EN+Final_Digital_2B.pdf (accessed 05.11.2019).
7. Italy@Risk presentata al lancio di Sicurezza 2017. Available at: https://www.ipsos.com/it-it/italyrisk-presentata-al-lancio-di-sicurezza-2017 (accessed 05.11.2019).
8. Cosi la percezione dell’immigrazione. Available at: http://www.t-mag.it/2017/09/13/cosi-la-percezione-dellimmigrazione/ (accessed 05.11.2019).
9. La percezione degli immigrati. Available at: http://www.demos.it/a01453.php (accessed 05.11.2019).
10. Mikheev V. Sindrom Lampeduzy [Lampedusa Syndrome]. All Europe, 2011, no. 6. Available at: http://alleuropa.ru/?p=1111 (accessed 05.11.2019).
11. Hopkins D.J., King G. A Method of Automated Nonparametric Content Analysis for Social Science. American Journal of Political Science, 2010, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 229-247. Available at: www.jstor.org/stable/20647981 (accessed 05.11.2019).
12. Laver M. et al. Extracting Policy Positions from Political Texts Using Words as Data. The American Political Science Review, 2003, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 311-331. Available at: www.jstor.org/stable/3118211 (accessed 05.11.2019).
13. Lucas C., Nielsen R., Roberts M., Stewart B., Storer A., Tingley D. Computer-Assisted Text Analysis for Comparative Politics. Political Analysis, 2015, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 254-277. Available at: https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/dtingley/files/comparativepoliticstext.pdf (accessed 05.11.2019). DOI:10.1093/pan/mpu019
14. Quotes Mussolini, t-shirt with Putin, the fight against illegal immigration: who is Matteo Salvini, the new star of Italian politics (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.bbc.com/russian/features-45075670 (accessed 05.11.2019).
15. Why Italy’s Matteo Salvini Is the Most Feared Man in Europe. Available at: http://time.com/5394448/matteo-salvini/ (accessed 05.11.2019).
16. Salvatore Martello: “La politica ha speculato sull’accoglienza, d’ora in poi a Lampedusa cambiera tutto”. Available at: https://www.ilmessaggero.it/pay/edicola/salvatore_martello_la_politica_ha_speculato_sull_accoglienza_d_ora_in_poi_a_lampedusa_cambiera_tutto-2501959.html (accessed 05.11.2019).
17. Qualita della vita 2017. Available at: https://static.italiaoggi.it/content_upload/doc/2011/11/201111161422577463/qualitadellavita2017.pdf (accessed 05.11.2019).
18. Comunicato stampa. La percezione della sicurezza. Available at: https://www.istat.it/it/archivio/217502 (accessed 05.11.2019).
19. Semenenko I. Natsional’naya identichnost’ [National identity]. Identichnost’: Lichnost’, obshchestvo, politika. Entsiklopedicheskoe izdanie [Identity: Personality, Society, Politics. Encyclopaedic edition]. Moscow, Ves’ Mir, 2017, pp. 405-413.
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX