In the world witnessing profound transformations at all levels of interstate relations as well as the search for effective forms of international interaction, networks have already proved to be among the most effective patterns of cooperation. Informal, flexible, stable, cooperative, multilevel and pluralistic international networks have been promoting a new architecture of the 21st century world politics, with BRICS being one of its manifestations. BRICS also represent a special type of networks – a transregional one, which combines resources of the powerful states from different regional subsystems claiming to be the leaders of a new polycentric world. Applying the network approach, the author analyzes the nature, potential, resources, mechanisms and institutions of BRICS as an actor in the global governance. This network is based on a balance of interests, resources and values. The group forms a stable network with relatively stable links that contribute to its stability despite political and economic factors forcing its disintegration. Such a pattern of transregional cooperation has not only become an objective reality, but also confirms its effectiveness and competitiveness in the multilevel system of global governance. BRICS, while remaining an informal forum, could not avoid institutionalization (albeit in a soft and flexible form), having formed a complex network of forums, councils, as well as real institutions such as the New Development Bank or BRICS Network University. The group is distinguished by a high concentration of resources in a network that operates on the basis of group interest and a culture of consensus, which ensures its stability even in case of internal political changes and bilateral contradictions. Amid increasing competition of new transregional associations and projects, the BRICS states tend to use the openness of the group to cement their global leadership, initiating “BRICS+” project that might become an even more inclusive transregional network embracing more regional and middle powers in the framework of cooperation.
BRICS, transregionalism, network approach, network, world political system, global governance
- Lebedeva M.M. Sistema politicheskoi organizatsii mira: “ideal’nyi shtorm” [System of World Political Organization: “Ideal Storm”]. MGIMO Review of International Relations, 2016, no. 2 (47), pp. 125-133.
- Lebedeva M.M., ed. Metamorfozy mirovoi politiki [Metamorphoses of World Politics]. Moscow, MGIMO-Universitet, 2012. 505 p.
- Kharkevich M. V. K voprosu o formakh global’nogo upravleniya v sovremennoĭ mirovoĭ politike [Forms of Global Governance in Modern World Politics]. MGIMO Review of International Relations, 2015, no. 6, pp. 133-137.
- Gurova T. Problema XXI veka [The Problem of the XXI Century]. ExpertOnline, 17.09.2001. Available at: https://expert.ru/expert/2001/34/34ex-terror3_26340/ (accessed 19.12.2019).
- Moaz Z., Terris L.G., Kuperman R.D., Talmud I. International Relations: A Network Approach. New Directions for International Relations: Confronting the Method-of-Analysis Problem. Mintz A., ed. Lexington, Yale University, 2003, pp. 35-64.
- Taranova N.V. Setevoi podkhod v issledovaniyakh mezhdunarodnykh otnoshenii i protsessa globalizatsii [Network Approach in the Study of International Relations and the Process of Globalization]. Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Ser. 6, 2008, no. 1, pp. 173-180.
- Degtyarev D.A. Setevoi analiz mezhdunarodnykh otnoshenii [Network Analysis of International Relations]. Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Ser. 6, 2015, no. 4, pp. 119-138.
- Miroshnichenko I.V. Setevoi podkhod v politicheskikh issledovaniyakh: soderzhanie i napravleniya razvitiya [Network Approach in Political Research: Content and Directions of Development]. Chelovek. Soobshchestvo. Upravleniye, 2013, no. 3, pp. 68-86.
- Smorgunov L.V. Setevoi podkhod k politike i upravleniyu [Network Approach to Policy and Management]. Polis. Political Studies, 2001, no. 3, pp. 103-112.
- Borzel T. What’s So Special About Policy Networks? An Exploration of the Concept and Its Usefulness in Studying European Governance. European Integration Online Papers (EIoP), 1997, no. 1 (16), pp. 1-24.
- Voskresenskii A.D., ed. Mirovoe kompleksnoe regionovedenie: uchebnik [World Comprehensive Regional Studies: A Textbook]. Moscow, Magistr, INFRA-M, 2014. 416 p.
- Singh S.P., Dube M. BRICS and the World Order: A Beginner’s Guide, 2017. Available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2443652 (accessed 19.12.2018).
- Pil’shchikov Yu S. Torgovlya mezhdu stranami BRIKS: sostoyanie i perspektivy [Trade between the BRICS Countries: State and Prospects]. KANT, 2016, no. 4, pp. 175-182.
- Il’in I.V., Leonova O.G. Zarubezhnye podkhody k analizu fenomena transregionalizma BRIKS. [Foreign Approaches to the Analysis of the Phenomenon of Transregionalism of BRICS]. Comparative Politics Russia, 2017, no. 8 (2), pp. 130-139. DOI: 10.18611/2221-3279-2017-8-2-130-139
- Koldunova E. V. Rol’ stran BRIKS v global’nom upravlenii [Role of BRICS in Global Governance]. Comparative Politics Russia, 2014, no. 5 (1(14)), pp. 60-64. Available at: https://doi.org/10.18611/2221-3279-2014-5-1(14)-60-64
- Panova V.I. BRIKS: problemy vzaimodeistviya i potentsial sotrudnichestva [BRICS: Problems of Interaction and Cooperation Potential]. Obozrevatel’-Observer, 2013, no. 1, pp. 39-53.
- Lisovolik Ya.D. BRIKS-plyus: al’ternativnaya globalizatsiya? [BRICS-Plus: Alternative Globalization?] Valdayskiye zapiski, 2017, no. 69. Available at: https://ru.valdaiclub.com/a/valdai-papers/valdayskaya-zapiska-69/ (accessed 19.12.2018).
- Kuznetsov D.A. Transregionalizm kak instrument vneshnei politiki vedushchikh derzhav [Transregionalism as a Tool of Foreign Policy of the Leading World Powers]. “25 let vneshnei politike Rossii”: sb. materialov X Konventa RAMI [“25 Years of Russian Foreign Policy”: Materials of the X Convention RAMI (Moscow, December 8–9, 2016). In Five Volumes]. Mal’gin A.V., ed. Moscow, MGIMO-University, 2017. Vol. 1, pp. 109-119.
- Rüland Jürgen. Balancers, Multilateral Utilities or Regional Identity Builders? International Relations and the Study of Interregionalism. Journal of European Public Policy, 2010, no. 17, pp. 1271-1283.
- Vinogradov A.V. Dialogovyi format BRIKS i yego rol’ v stanovlenii mnogopolyarnogo mira [The Dialogue of BRICS and Its Role in the Formation of a Multipolar World]. Comparative Politics Russia, 2014, no. 4, pp. 47-52
- Qingsong Wan. Rol’ BRIСS v global’nom upravlenii i transformatsii mirovogo poryadka: kitaiskii vzglyad [The Role of BRICS in Global Governance and Transformation of the World Order: A Chinese Perspective]. Gosudarstvennoye upravleniye. Elektronnyi vestnik, 2015, no. 48, pp. 273-284.
Registered in system SCIENCE INDEX