A. Suleymanov (email@example.com),
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod, 23, Gagarina Prosp., Nizhny Novgorod, 603000, Russian Federation
The article analyzes the Cyprus problem, which belongs to the most complicated unresolved international conflicts of the 20th and 21st century. The specifics of this conflict are seen through the prism of existing ethnic contradictions between Turkish and Greek populations of the island, as well as of a political struggle between Turkey, Greece and Britain in the Mediterranean in the second half of the 20th century. In this regard, the author makes a comparative historical analysis of the relationship between Turkish and Greek communities on the island. Special attention is also paid to the proposed plans and opinions of Turkish, Greek, Cypriot and UN officials (e. g. Kofi Annan Plan) concerning a significant reduction of tension between the Turks and the Greeks in Cyprus and transition of the conflict to the legal and financial spheres. The author concludes that the main reason for the insolubility of the Cyprus problem is the presence of many obstacles at once – a controversial policy of Turkey, Greece, the UK and the EU in the Mediterranean, the lack of an established Cypriot identity, the unwillingness of countries to make concessions, their economic disagreements, and ignoring of UN resolutions.
Cyprus, Turkey, Greece, Great Britain, EU, Cyprus problem, Turco-Greek relations, enosis, Macmillan Plan, Annan Plan
1. Dodd C. The History and Politics of the Cyprus Conflict. London, 2010. 308 p.
2. Kaliber A. Securing the Ground through Securitized Foreign Policy: The Cyprus Case. Security Dialogue, 2005, vol. 36 (3), pp. 319-337.
3. Suvarierol S. The Cyprus Obstacle on Turkey’s Road to Membership in the European Union. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/27699767_The_Cyprus_Obstacle_on_Turkey%27s_Road_to_Membership_in_the_European_Union (accessed 12.10.2018).
4. Turan I., Barlas D. Turkish-Greek Balance: A Key to Peace and Cooperation in the Balkans. East European Quarterly, 1998, vol. 32 (4), pp. 469-488.
5. Türk Mukavemet Teşkilatı. Available at: https://www.turkcebilgi.com/t%C3%BCrk_mukavemet_te%C5%9Fkilat%C4%B1 (accessed 13.10.2018).
6. Nesterov A.G., Zlatoustova M.I. Britanskii proekt uregulirovaniya situatsii na Kipre v 1957–1958 godakh: “plan Makmillana” [British Project to Resolve the Situation in Cyprus in 1957–1958: “Macmillan Plan”]. Nauchnyi dialog, 2017, no. 5, pp. 240-253.
7. Kalaitzaki T. US Mediation in Greek-Turkish Disputes since 1954. Mediterranean Quarterly, 2005, vol. 16 (2), pp. 106-124.
8. Adamson F. Democratization and Domestic Sources of Foreign Policy: Turkey in the 1974 Cyprus Crisis. Political Science Quarterly, 2001, vol. 116 (2), pp. 277-303.
9. Goktepe C. The Cyprus Crisis of 1967 and Its Effects on Turkey’s Foreign Relations. Middle Eastern Studies, 2005, vol. 41 (3), pp. 431-444.
10. Kanlı Noel. Available at: http://www.tarihiolaylar.com/tarihi-olaylar/kanli-noel-1395 (accessed 13.09.2018).
11. Yavuz M. H., Mujeeb R. K. Turkish Foreign Policy toward the Arab-Israeli Conflict: Duality and the Development (1950– 1991). Arab Studies Quarterly, 1992, vol. 14 (4), pp. 69-94.
12. Stepanov V.V. Kiprskii konflikt: sovremennoe vospriyatie i problema preodoleniya [Cyprus Conflict: Modern Perception and Problem of Overcoming]. Etnichnost’ i religiya v sovremennykh konfliktakh [Ethnicity and Religion in Modern Conflicts]. Tishkov V.A., Shnyrelman V.A., eds. Moscow, Nauka, 2012. 651 p.
13. Lesser Ian O. Turkey in a Changing Security Environment. Journal of International Affairs. 2000, vol. 54 (1), pp. 183-198.
14. Miltiadu M., Kufudakis V., eds. Kiprskii vopros. Kratkoe izlozhenie [A Cyprus Question: A Brief Introduction]. Nicosia (Republic of Cyprus), 2010. 64 p.
15. The Speech of the Turkish Foreign Minister I. Сem at a Meeting of the 55th General Assembly of the UN. September 16, 2000, pp. 10-12. Available at: http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/55/PV.18 (accessed 21.06.2018).
16. Kudryashova Yu.S. Turtsiya I Evropeyskiy Soyuz: istoriya, problem i perspektivi vzaimodeystviya [Turkey and European Union: History, Problems and Prospects of Interaction]. Moscow, 2010. 364 p.
17. Talat ve Hristofyas ‘mülkiyet’i konuşacak. Available at: http://www.dunya.com/talat-ve-hristofyas-mulkiyeti-konusacak-68434h.htm (accessed 21.06.2018).
18. UN Comprehensive Settlement Plan of the Cyprus Question. Available at: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/un-comprehensive-settlement-plan-of-the-cyprus-question.en.mfa (accessed 21.06.2018).
19. Cypriote Greeks Failed the Plan of the UN for Association of the Island (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.newsru.com/world/25apr2004/kigr.html (accessed 21.06.2018).
20. Ivanova I.I. Kipr–Turtsiya–Rossiya na sovremennom etape [Cyprus–Turkey–Russia at the Present Stage]. Islam na Blizhnem i Srednem Vostoke, 2010, no. 5, pp. 129-143.
21. The Statement of the Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Turkey A. Gül at a Meeting of the 59th General Assembly of the UN. September 23, 2004. Available at: https://daccess-ods.un.org/TMP/9610504.50801849.html (accessed 21.06.2018).
22. Andrekos V. Reinterpreting Macmillan’s Cyprus Policy, 1957–1960. Available at: ru.scribd.com/document/335486120/Macmillans-Cyprus-Policy (accessed 21.06.2018).
23. The Statement of the Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Turkey Ş. Gürel at a Meeting of the 57th General Assembly of the UN. September 13, 2002. Available at: https://www.un.org/webcast/ga/57/statements/020913turkeyE.htm (accessed 21.06.2018).
24. Kozik K.A. Rol’ Evropeiskogo Soyuza v uregulirovanii turetsko-grecheskikh otnosnenii v nachale XXI v. [A Role of the European Union in Settlement of the Turco- Greek Relations at the Beginning of the 21st Century]. Golos minuvshego. Kubanskii istoricheskii zhurnal, 2014, no. 1-2, pp. 158-163.
25. The European Union Will Thank the Turkish Community of Cyprus for Aspiration to Association (In Russ.) Available at: https://lenta.ru/news/2004/04/26/reward/ (accessed 21.06.2018).
26. Kyris G. Europeanisation and Conflict Resolution: The Case of Cyprus. Ibei Working Papers, 2013/39, pp. 1-16.
27. Cyprus Promised to Block the Entry of Turkey into the EU (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.newsru.com/world/20oct2015/cyprus.html (accessed 21.06.2018).
28. Kıbrıs’ta Lokmacı Kapısı 45 yıl sonra açıldı. Available at: http://www.dw.com/tr/kıbrısta-lokmacı-kapısı-45-yıl-sonra-açıldı/a-3235529 (accessed 21.06.2018).
29. Cypriots Resume Negotiations on Association of the Island (In Russ.) Available at: https://lenta.ru/articles/2008/03/24/cyprus/ (accessed 21.06.2018).
30. The Statement by H. E. Mr. Nicos Anastasiades, President of the Republic of Cyprus at the General Debate of the 69th Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations. September 26, 2014. Available at: http://www.cyprusun.org/?p=6723 (accessed 21.06.2018).
31. Zhukova N.M. Kiprskoe uregulirovanie: sostoyanie i blizhaishie perspektivy [Cyprus Settlement: The State and the Near-term Outlook]. Vostochnaya analitika, 2012, no. 3, pp. 59-61.
32. The Statement by H. E. Mr. Demetris Christofias, President of the Rebublic of Cyprus at the General Debate of the 67th Session of the General Assembly of the UN. September 25, 2012. Available at: https://gadebate.un.org/en/67/cyprus (accessed 21.06.2018).
33. Ada’da müzakereler 15 Mayıs’ta başlıyor. Available at: http://www.milliyet.com.tr/ada-da-muzakereler-15-mayis-ta/dunya/detay/2057640/default.htm (accessed 21.06.2018).
34. Kıbrıs’ta liderler yeniden bir araya geliyor. Available at: http://www.memleket.com.tr/kibrista-liderler-yeniden-bir-araya-geliyor-1665691h.htm (accessed 21.06.2018).
35. Cyprus Reunification Talks Collapse amid Angry Scenes. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/07/cyprus-reunification-talks-collapse-amid-angry-scenes (accessed 21.06.2018).
36. Cyprus: January 2018 Monthly Forecast – Security Council Report. Available at: https://www.securitycouncilreport.org/monthly-forecast/2018-01/cyprus_11.php (accessed 21.06.2018).
37. The Speech of the President of the Republic of Cyprus Papadopalos at the 62nd Session of General Assembly of the UN. 2007. Available at: http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/62/2007/pdfs/cyprus-eng.pdf (accessed 21.06.2018).
Registered in system SCIENCE INDEX