M. Gutenev (email@example.com),
South Ural State University, 76, Lenina Prosp., Chelyabinsk, 454080, Russian Federation
The article is devoted to assessing the development prospects of the Northern Sea Route (NSR). The author examines the main concerns of international investors and partners about the commercial viability of the NSR. The author proposes to deliberately and systematically implement the strategic objectives for the Arctic development, to create a comprehensive plan for the implementation of measures aimed at the development of forecasts for the development of the NSR. Despite the considerable international interest in the Russian Arctic from potential foreign partners and investors, there are also great concerns about the commercial viability of the NSR. For example, in the foreign ship¬building and shipping companies who would be interested in the development of the NSR, there is no single point of view about the prospects of this transport corridor. According to foreign researchers, in order to promote active use of the Northern route has a lot of issues should be cleared out. The main problems today relate to the political, economic and intra-corporate barriers. One of the main vectors of development of the NSR in the twenty-first century should be the development of cooperation with foreign partners, aimed at the harmonization of the rules and regulations relating to the use of the Northern sea corridor, as well as comprehensive work aimed at improving its general image and commercial attractiveness.
Russia, Arctic, Northern Sea Route, NSR, shipping, hydrocarbons
1. On the state and problems of legislative maintenance of realization of strategy of development of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation and national security for the period up to 2020. The state and problems of legislative support of scientific activity of the Russian Federation in the Antarctic. Annual Report (2015) and the Analytical Review (2010–2015). Moscow, Izdatelskii otdel Upravleniya delami Apparata Soveta Federatsii, 2015. 588 p. (In Russ.)
2. Transport strategy of the Russian Federation for the period up to 2030 (In Russ.) Available at: http://rosavtodor.ru/docs/transportnaya-strategiya-rf-na-period-do-2030-goda (accessed 28.12.2016).
3. “Gazprom” has tested delivery of liquefied gas via the Northern Sea Route (in Russ.) Available at: https://www.vedomosti.ru/business/articles/2012/12/06/gazprom_proshel_morem#ixzz2EFE1Pe9u (accessed 28.09.2017).
4. The Decree of the RF Government dated March 15, 2013 No. 358-p on the establishment of the Federal State Institution “Administration of the Northern Sea Route” (In Russ.) Available at: http://archive.government.ru/gov/results/23372/ (accessed 28.12.2016).
5. The development strategy of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation and national security for the period up to 2020 (in Russ.) Available at: http://government.ru/info/18360/ (accessed 13.01.2017).
6. Oil polar horizon (In Russ.) Available at: http://expert.ru/northwest/2016/40/neftyanoj-polyarnyij-gorizont/ (accessed 15.09.2017).
7. The Development of Offshore Oil and Gas in the Arctic. Current Status and Prospects (In Russ.) Available at: http://russiancouncil.ru/arcticoil (accessed 15.08.2017).
8. The volume of transportation of Coal from Taimyr along the Northern Sea Route will grow 10 times by 2020 (In Russ.) Available at: http://tass.ru/v-strane/4136353 (accessed 15.08.2017).
9. “Atomflot” has predicted growth of cargo traffic along the Northern Sea Route (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.interfax.ru/business/567293 (accessed 15.08.2017).
10. Selin V.S. Dvizhushchie sily i problemy razvitiya gruzopotokov Severnogo morskogo puti [The driving forces and challenges for the development of cargo traffic of the Northern Sea Route]. Arktika i Sever, 2016, no. 22, pp. 87-111.
11. Icebraker “Siberia” took place of “Arctic” on the slipway (In Russ.) Available at: http://24ri.ru/down/o-311.html (accessed 15.08.2017).
12. Zalyvskii N.P. Severnyi morskoi put’: potencial ozhidaniya i real’nye problemy funkcionirovaniya [The Northern Sea Route: potential expectations and real problems of functioning]. Arktika i Sever, 2015, no. 20, pp. 37-57.
13. Lee T., Kim H.J. Barriers of Voyaging on the Northern Sea Route: A Perspective from Shipping Companies. Marine Policy, 2015, vol. 62, pp. 264-270.
14. The International Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters (Polar Code) (In Russ.) Available at: http://docs.cntd.ru/document/420376046 (accessed 13.01.2017).
15. The project Yamal LNG in Sabetta (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.nasha-strana.info/archives/15372 (accessed 13.09.2017).
16. Order of South Korean tankers will not damage Russian shipyards (In Russ.) Available at: https://vz.ru/economy/2017/9/7/885955.html (accessed 01.02.2018).
Registered in system SCIENCE INDEX