A. Kravchuk (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Far Eastern Federal University (FEFU), 8, Sukhanova Str., Vladivostok, 690091, Russian Federation
Successful implementation of the majority of Russian projects in the Arctic requires a great number of ice-class vessels that are able to operate freely in the Arctic Ocean. Over the last couple of years Russian companies placed a large amount of orders for building vessels, which meet the requirements of the IMO Polar Code, on foreign shipyards. The fact exemplifies that at the moment Russia does not have enough ice-class vessels to expand its economic activity in the region. This article is devoted to the study of the development of civil shipbuilding in Russia. The author will consider the ongoing project of “Zvezda” shipbuilding complex that is to be realized in the Russian Far East. The paper provides comprehensive analysis of the main problems that threaten successful implementation of the project. One of them is that today “Zvezda” shipyard does not have enough commercial orders that prevents it from starting serial production of vessels and equipment for them. Author suggests that this problem cannot be solved without regulatory measures of the Russian Government. Another problem is that the Far Eastern shipbuilding complex lacks necessary technological experience in constructing sophisticated vessels (container ships, LNG-tankers and offshore platforms), which are in great demand in the Arctic. Thus, to overcome this challenge “Zvezda” shipyard needs to strengthen cooperation with the top shipbuilding companies in the world. While Western powers imposed sanctions against Russia, the leadership of “Zvezda” complex was forced to seek its partners in the Asia Pacific Region. As a result, today “Zvezda” shipyard in close cooperation with companies from China, the Republic of Korea and Singapore has established a number of joint ventures in the Russian Far East that will provide it with necessary technologies in short-term perspective. However, the import of foreign technologies makes products of the Russian shipbuilding complex more expensive and less competitive. From the author’s point of view, to solve that problem “Zvezda” should increase research and development expenditures, and its primary task for a long-term perspective should be to replace foreign technologies with domestic ones.
Russia, Arctic, maritime navigation, Northern Sea Route, international cooperation, Russian Far East, shipbuilding
1. Konyshev V., Sergunin A. The Arctic at the crossroads of geopolitical interests. Russian Politics and Law, 2012, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 34-54.
2. Kravchuk A.A. Transportno-logisticheskie vozmozhnosti rossiiskoi Arktiki: sovremennoe sostoyanie i perspektivy razvitiya [Transport and logistics capabilities of the Russian Arctic: current state and prospects for development]. Gosudarstvennaya sluzhba, 2017, vol. 19, no. 4 (108), pp. 113-119.
3. Building a fleet for a strong country (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.oaoosk.ru/about (accessed 20.01.2018).
4. Grivanov R.I., Gu Fantsze. K voprosu o roli vysokotekhnologichnogo proizvodstva v obespechenii uskorennogo razvitiya regiona: sudostroenie na Dal’nem Vostoke Rossii i realizatsiya Zakona o svobodnom porte Vladivostok [To the issue of high-tech industries role in the accelerated development of the region: shipbuilding at the Far East of Russia and implementation of the free port Vladivostok Law]. Fundamental Research, 2016, no. 11, pp. 166-170.
5. Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of January 28, 2016 no. 43 «On the creation of the Territory of advanced social and economic development “Bolshoy Kamen”» (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_193235 (accessed 20.01.2018).
6. The projects of the three sub-stages of the first stage of the “Zvezda” shipyard were approved by Glavgosexpertiza (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.eastrussia.ru/news/proekty-trekh-etapov-i-ocheredi-verfi-zvezda-odobreny-glavgosekspertizoy/ (accessed 20.01.2018).
7. Construction of the shipbuilding complex “Zvezda” (In Russ.) Available at: http://dcss.ru/projects/koc-oao-dvz-zvezda (accessed 20.01.2018).
8. Creation of a shipbuilding cluster in the South of Primorye territory (In Russ.) Available at: http://tass.ru/ekonomika/4544744l (accessed 29.08.2018).
9. SC “Zvezda” will become the main center of shipbuilding (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.i-mash.ru/news/nov_otrasl/74934-neftegazovye-kompanii-ispytyvajut-potrebnost-v.html (accessed 29.08.2018).
10. Sechin: to improve the indicators of SC “Zvezda” we need more orders (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.infox.ru/news/277/economy/company/182992-secin-dla-ulucsenia-pokazatelej-sk-zvezda-nuzno-bolse-zakazov (accessed 20.01.2018).
11. Shipbuilding plant “Zvezda” is fully provided with orders until 2029 (In Russ.) Available at: https://ria.ru/economy/20171228/1511864147.html (accessed 20.01.2018).
12. Putin: oil companies should increase the number of orders for SC “Zvezda” (In Russ.) Available at: https://ria.ru/economy/20170908/1502044096.html (accessed 20.01.2018).
13. “Zvezda” will eventually build five tankers for “Sovcomflot” (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3421579 (accessed 20.01.2018).
14. Order of South Korean tankers will not damage Russian shipyards (In Russ.) Available at: https://vz.ru/economy/2017/9/7/885955.html (accessed 20.01.2018).
15. Evdokimov G.P., Vysotskaya N.A. Sudokhodstvo v Arktike i Gosudarstvennaya programma razvitiya sudostroeniya v RF na 2015–2030 gg. [Arctic shipping and Governmental program of the development of shipbuilding in Russia for 2015–2030]. Morskoi sbornik, 2014, vol. 2006, no. 5, pp. 54-59.
16. The first ice-class tanker RN Sakhalin built in the Far East was launched in Nakhodka (In Russ.) Available at: http://neftegaz.ru/news/view/128258-Pervyj-postroennyj-na-Dalnem-Vostoke-tanker-ledovogo-klassa-RN-Sahalin-spustili-na-vodu-v-Nahodke (accessed 20.01.2018).
17. Sevastyanov S., Kravchuk A. The Russian approach to national security in the Arctic. The Korean Journal of Defense Analysis, 2017, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 131-149.
18. Sevastyanov S. Hopes and realities in relations between Russia and Japan: is a breakthrough possible? East Asia: An International Quarterly, 2017, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 39-62.
19. Mozias P.M. Morskoe khozyaistvo Kitaya: tendentsii i problemy razvitiya [China’s marine economy: trends and development problems]. Obshchestvo i gosudarstvo v Kitae. Vol. XLIII, part 2. Kobzev A.I. et al, eds. Moscow, Institute of Oriental Studies of RAS, 2013, pp. 424-456.
20. Bogdanov K. Koreiskoe sudostroenie: bezhat’, chtoby ostat’sya na meste [Korean shipbuilding: run to stay in place]. Moscow, RIAC, 2013. Available at: http://russiancouncil.ru/analytics-and-comments/analytics/koreyskoe-sudostroenie-bezhat-chtoby-ostatsya-na-meste/?sphrase_id=472740 (accessed 20.01.2018).
21. Chinese integral of Rosneft (In Russ.) Available at: http://expert.ru/2016/06/26/kitajskij-integral-rosnefti (accessed 20.01.2018).
22. “Rosneft” attracts Chinese producers of equipment for the SC “Zvezda” (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.rosneft.ru/press/releases/item/180719/ (accessed 20.01.2018).
23. Chinese state concern CCCC will carry out construction of the third stage of dry dock and supply of cranes to SC “Zvezda” (In Russ.) Available at: http://interfax-russia.ru/FarEast/news.asp?id=899102&sec=1679 (accessed 20.01.2018).
24. Reutov D., Cherkashin P. Yuzhnaya Koreya i razvitie shel’fovogo sudostroeniya na Dal’nem Vostoke Rossii [South Korea and development of offshore shipbuilding in the Far East of Russia]. Moscow, RIAC, 2014. Available at: http://old.russiancouncil.ru/inner/?id_4=3613#top-content (accessed 20.01.2018).
25. Consul General of the Republic of Korea in Vladivostok Lee Sok Pae: “Korean shipbuilders are not yet up to investments in Primorye” (In Russ.) Available at: http://portnews.ru/comments/2160 (accessed 20.01.2018).
26. “Rosneft” and Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries Strengthen Technological Cooperation (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.rosneft.ru/press/ releases/item/186799 (accessed 20.01.2018).
27. South Korea Agrees to Take Part in Joint Development Projects in Russia’s Far East. Available at: http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/819159.html (accessed 20.01.2018).
28. South Korean shipbuilding fell in a deep crisis (In Russ.) Available at: https://rg.ru/2016/02/04/iuzhnokorejskoe-sudostroenie-okazalos-v-glubokom-krizise.html (accessed 20.01.2018).
29. Daewoo Shipbuilding Clinches Huge Order for 15 Ice-breaking LNG Carriers from Yamal LNG of Russia. Available at: http://newsworld.co.kr/detail.htm?no=1375 (accessed 20.01.2018).
30. “FESC” and joint venture “Zvezda Morskiye Tekhnologii” signed the agreement on project management (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.rosneft.ru/press/releases/item/183437 (accessed 20.01.2018).
31. “Rosneft” and GE will expand cooperation in shipbuilding and technology (In Russ.) Available at: https://ria.ru/economy/20170130/1486771872.html (accessed 20.01.2018).
Registered in system SCIENCE INDEX