M. Khokhlova (email@example.com),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations, Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation;
I. Khokhlov (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations, Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation
Abstract. The authors study the topic of youth employment in Russian regions through the lenses of both global factors and national institutions. These include the national professional education system as well as personal choice of occupation, university, employer and place of residence. Given that Russia’s regions belong to a single state with common institutions, one language and an otherwise homogenous social structure, this situation provides important insight into what helps young people fully realize their potential and ambitions or, conversely, prevents them from doing so. Professional education is becoming more and more vital for an individual’s career, self-reliance and ability to contribute to the development of the country. However, while selecting a university or an employer, one can be susceptible to negative social experience which can trigger the development of destructive attitudes. The authors look at how this can impact a person’s professional career, which is prone to change given the pace of technological development today. Global networks of people and organisations impact youth employment all over the world, including Russia. This results in widespread remote working, which, in turn, brings highly-skilled vacancies to remote places. Remote working and studying levels out inequality in access to educational and cultural institutions as well as to work that young people find fulfilling. In this context, the article, inter alia, studies the impact of the national “Digital Economy” strategy on youth employment in Russia.
Keywords: Russia, regions, job market, youth, professional education, employment
1. Federal Law “On Education in the Russian Federation” No. 273-FZ of December 29, 2012 with Amendments to 2018 (In Russ.) Available at: http://zakon-ob-obrazovanii.ru/ (accessed 24.04.2018).
2. World Investment Report 2017: Investment and the Digital Economy. Available at: http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2017_en.pdf (accessed 24.04.2018).
3. Forbes: 50 Major Foreign Companies in Russia in 2017 (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.forbes.ru/rating/350867-50-krupneyshih-inostrannyh-kompaniy-v-rossii-2017#all_rating (accessed 24.04.2018).
4. Russian Statistical Yearbook: 2017. Rosstat (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/doc_2017/year/year17.pdf (accessed 24.04.2018).
5. Kuznetsova O.V. Nakoplennye inostrannye investitsii v rossiiskikh regionakh: territorial’naya struktura i rol’ offshornogo kapitala [Accumulated Foreign Investment in Russia’s Regions: The Territorial Structure and Role of the Offshore Capital]. Problemnyi analiz i gosudarstvenno-upravlencheskoe proektirovanie [Problem-oriented Analysis and Public Managerial Engineering]. Moscow, 2015. Issue 6, pp. 47-62.
6. Hotel Compound “Kanvas” Opens in Grozny in 2017. TASS, 03.02.2017. (In Russ.) Available at: http://ru.investinrussia.com/news/9156-gostinichnyi-kompleks-kanvas-otkroetsia-v-groznom (accessed 24.04.2018).
7. Regions in Russia: The Main Characteristics of the Constituent Entities of the Russian Federation. Official Publication. 2016. Statistical Handbook. Moscow, Rosstat. 1264 p. (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/doc_2016/region/reg_sub16.pdf (accessed 24.04.2018).
8. United States Census Bureau. Available at: http://www.census,gov/hhes/migration/data/acs/state-to-state.html (accessed 24.04.2018).
9. Employment and Unemployment in Russia. Moscow, Rosstat, 2016 (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.gks.ru/bgd/free/b04_03/IssWWW.exe/Stg/d06/37.htm (accessed 24.04.2018).
10. Order of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 1111-r. On the Approval of the Forecast Plan (Program) of Privatization of Federal Property and the Main Directions of Federal Property Privatization for 2014–2016 (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.garant.ru/products/ipo/prime/doc/70308182/ (accessed 24.04.2018).
11. The Forecast Plan (Program) of Privatization of Federal Property and the Main Directions of Federal Property Privatization for 2017–2019 (In Russ.) Available at: http://statis.government.ru/media/files/fdupS1yexAVoMGfevOqCs4QzAEeMjYtE.pdf (accessed 24.04.2018).
12. Federal Law no. 60-FZ “On amending individual legislative acts of the Russian Federation”. Collection of Legislation of the Russian Federation, no. 14 of April 8, 2013, item 1668 (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.szrf.ru/szrf/doc.phtml?nb=100&issid=1002013014000&docid=32 (accessed 24.04.2018).
13. Program “The Digital Economy of the Russian Federation”. The Government of the Russian Federation: Order no. 1632-p of July 28, 2017 (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.tadviser.ru/images/a/af/9gFM4FHj4PsB79I5v7yLVuPgu4bvR7M0.pdf (accessed 24.04.2018).
14. Kovaleva A.I., Lukov V.A. Sotsiologiya molodezhi: Teoreticheskie voprosy [Sociology of Youth: Theoretical Questions]. Moscow, Socium, 1999. 150 p.
15. Blossfeld H.-P., Klijzing E., Mills M., Kurz K., eds. Globalization, Uncertainty and Youth in Society. London, New York, Routledge, 2005. 452 p.
16. Bauman Z. Tekuchaya sovremennost’ [Liquid Modernity]. Moscow, Piter, 2008. 240 p.
17. Touraine A. Can We Live Together, Equal and Different. European Journal of Social Theory. University of Sussex, UK, 1998, November, pp. 165-178.
18. Novy M., Smith M.-L., Katrnak T. Inglehart’s Scarcity Hipothes is Revisited: In Postmaterialism Macro or Micro-level Phenomen on Around the World? International Sociology. 2017, November, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 683-706.
19. Cherednichenko G.A. Obrazovatel’nye i professional’nye traektorii rossiiskoi molodezhi [Educational and Professional Life Paths of Russian Youth]. Moscow, TsSPiM, 2014. 560 p.
21. La globalisation: déclinou nouveau départ? Un regard Suisse. 21.11.2016. Discours de Johann N. Schneider-Ammann, Président de la Confédération. Available at: https://www.admin.ch/.../medienmitteilungen.msg-id-64547 (accessed 24.04.2018).
22. Schneider-Ammann J.N. Elements of Success in Our Education System. International Congress on Vocational and Professional Education and Training. 20–22 June 2016 Winterthur (Switzerland). Available at: https://www.wbf. admin.ch/wbf/en/home/dokumentation/nsb-news_list.msg-id-70478.html (accessed 24.04.2018).
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX