L. Khudyakova (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations, Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow 117997, Russian Federation
Abstract. Adjusting the global financial system in order to support sustainable development of the world economy becomes an imperative of the XXI century. The article analyses the main drivers and obstacles to this process as well as action programs aimed at achieving this goal. Three main groups of actors are considered: national governments and financial regulators, international organizations and private financial institutions. The rapid growth of the number of informal international alliances and initiatives supporting sustainable banking, investments and insurance is really impressive. The author points out that the main direction of transformation of the global financial system is “to go green”. Within this general trend the principle of “double dividend” can be applied and the economic gains can be achieved together with ecological ones. Achievement of social goals can be ensured by further development of the financial inclusion and improvement of the financial management and standards. Financial innovations, including digital finance, increase of SMEA financing, development of green finance clusters with diversified green instruments inside the international financial centers are considered among the main accelerators of such transformation. A very important feature of the recent years is constantly increasing participation of the rapidly growing developing countries, especially China, in the green finance initiatives. This country is not just seeking to solve its national ecological and social problems. Basically, it is interested in creating and occupying its own niche in the changing global financial system with the purpose to make it more connected with the real economy, more equal and fair. The author concludes that strong governance is critical for ensuring the real progress in green and sustainable finance. The Roadmap, prepared by UNEP/World Bank in 2017, contains not only the list of necessary next steps but their timing. This document may be helpful for all countries, including Russia, and for their cooperation, aiming to align financial system to sustainable development for future prosperity.
Keywords: global financial reform, sustainable development, green finance, UNEP, international organizations, financial inclusion, financial institutions
1. Khudyakova L.S. Global’noe finansovoe regulirovanie v postkrizisnyi period [Global financial regulation in post-crisis period]. Novye podkhody k global’nomu finansovomu regulirovaniyu [New approaches to global financial regulation]. Khudyakova L.S., ed. Moscow, IMEMO, 2015, pp. 6-28.
2. Khudyakova L.S., Kulakova V.K., Sidorova E.A., Nozdrev S.V. Global’naya reforma regulirovaniya finansovogo sektora: pervye itogi i novye vyzovy [Global regulatory reform of financial sector: first results and new challenges]. Den’gi i kredit, 2016, ¹ 5, pp. 28-38.
3. Eurofi – Perspectives on Global Financial Regulation. Remarks by Svein Andresen, Secretary General, Financial Stability Board. April 6, 2017. 4 p. Available at: http://www.fsb.org/wp-content/uploads/Eurofi-Perspectives-on- Global-Financial-Regulation.pdf (accessed 24.01.2018).
4. Proposed Framework for Post-Implementation Evaluation of the Effects of the G20 Financial Regulatory Reforms. Consultation Document on Main Elements. April 11, 2017. 15 p. Available at: http://www.fsb.org/wp-content/uploads/Framework-for-the-post-implementation-evaluation-of-the-G20-financial-regulatory-reforms.pdf (accessed 24.01.2018)
5. Stiglitz J. Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy. New York, W.W. Norton & Company. 2010. 361 p.
6. Lund S., Daruvala T., Dobbs R., Härle Ph., Kwek Ju-H., Falcón R. Financial Globalization: Retreat or Reset? Global Capital Markets 2013. McKinsey Global Institute. March 2013. 92 p. Available at: https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Global%20Themes/Global%20Capital%20Markets/Financial%20globalization/MGI_ Financial_globalization_Full_report_Mar2013.ashx (accessed 24.01.2018).
7. Lund S., Windhagen E., Manyika J., Härle Ph., Woetzel J., Goldshtein D. The New Dynamics of Financial Globalization. McKinsey Global Institute. August 2017. 108 p. Available at: https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Industries/Financial%20Services/Our%20Insights/The%20new%20dynamics%20of%20financial%20globalization/Financial%20globalization_Full%20Report_August_29_2017%20(1).ashx (accessed 24.01.2018).
8. Sahay R., Čihák M., N’Diaye P., Barajas A., Bi R., Ayala D., Gao Yu., Kyobe A., Nguyen L., Saborowski Ch., Svirydzenka K., Yousefi S.R. Rethinking Financial Deepening: Stability and Growth in Emerging Markets. Washington, IMF, 2015. 41 p. Available at: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/sdn/2015/sdn1508.pdf (accessed 24.01.2018).
9. How to Restore a Healthy Financial Sector that Supports Long-Lasting, Inclusive Growth? OECD Economics Department Policy Note no. 27. June 2015. 7 p. Available at: https://www.oecd.org/eco/How-to-restore-a-healthy-financial-sector-that-supports-long-lasting-inclusive-growth.pdf (accessed 24.01.2018).
10. Towards a Theory of Sustainable Finance. Inquiry Working Paper. UNEP, October 2015. 19 p. Available at: http://unepinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Towards_a_Theory_of_Sustainable_Finance.pdf (accessed 24.01.2018).
11. Kulakova V.K. Finansovoe regulirovanie v SShA pri novom prezidente D. Trampe [Financial regulation in the US under new president D. Trump]. Den’gi i kredit, 2017, ¹ 10, pp. 57-63.
12. Bobylev S.N. Ustoichivoe razvitie: paradigma dlya budushchego [Sustainable development: a paradigm for future]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2017, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 107-113.
13. The Financial System We Need. Aligning the Financial System with Sustainable Development. The UNEP Inquiry Report. October 2015, 112 p. Available at: https://wedocs.unep.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/9862/-The_Financial_System_We_Need_Aligning_the_Financial_System_with_Sustainable_Development-2015The_Financial_System_We_Need_EN.pdf.pdf?sequence=15&isAllowed=y (accessed 26.01.2018).
14. The Financial System We Need: From Momentum to Transformation. UNEP. October 2016, 96 p. Available at: http://unepinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/The_Financial_System_We_Need_From_Momentum_to_Transformation.pdf (accessed 26.01.2018).
15. Khudyakova L.S. Mezhdunarodnoe sotrudnichestvo v razvitii “zelenogo” finansirovaniya [International cooperation in development of “green” financing]. Den’gi i kredit, 2017, no. 7, pp. 10-18.
16. G7 Throws Weight behind Sustainable Finance Movement. Press Release. UNEP. June 12, 2017. Available at: http://web.unep.rg/newscentre/g7-throws-weight-behind-sustainable-finance-movement (accessed 26.01.2018).
17. Financial Centres for Sustainability. Reviewing G7 Financial Centres in Mobilizing Green and Sustainable Finance. UNEP Inquiry. June 2017. 40 p. Available at: http://unepinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Financial_Centres_for_Sustainability.pdf (accessed 26.01.2018).
18. McDaniels J., Robins N. Mobilizing Sustainable Finance for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises. Reviewing Experience and Identifying Options in the G7. UNEP Inquiry. June 2017. 44 p. Available at: http://unepinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Mobilizing_Sustainable_Finance_for_Small_and_Medium_Sized_Enterprises.pdf (accessed 26.01.2018).
19. Wilkins M. How the Recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures May Figure into Our Ratings. S&P Global Ratings. August 16, 2017. Available at: https://www.spglobal.com/our-insights/How-The-Recommendations-Of-The-Task-Force-On-Climate-Related-Financial-Disclosures-May-Figure-Into-Our-Ratings.html (accessed 26.01.2018)
20. 2017 Financial Inclusion Action Plan (FIAP). GPFI, July 2017. 31 p. Available at: https://www.gpfi.org/sites/default/files/documents/2017%20G20%20Financial%20Inclusion%20Action%20Plan%20final.pdf (accessed 26.01.2018).
21. Roadmap for a Sustainable Financial System. A UN Environment – World Bank Group Initiative. UNEP Inquiry. November 2017. 102 p. Available at: http://unepinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Roadmap_for_a_Sustainable_Financial_System.pdf (accessed 26.01.2018).
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX