A. Nagimova (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Strategic Studies Institute of the Republic of Bashkortostan, 15, Kirova Str., Ufa, 450008, Russian Federation
The paper analyses the experience of the Russian regions in the raising of the Arab capital. In the last 10 years Russian regions have been initiated 18 respective deals with total announced value 9.62 Billion US dollars, but only third of them with total value of just 163 Million US dollars were successfully realized. The list intended projects includes: Astrakhan region government negotiated with Dubai World (state investment holding of UAE) two investment projects in 2008; Chelyabinsk government negotiated building of oil-refinery with Emirati Quality Energy Petro International Ltd.; Bashkortostan discussed with the Arab investors two joint ventures, while Omsk did it once; Government of Saha Republic took part and sponsored Annual Investment Meeting in Dubai where Memorandum of Cooperation with Investment Authority of Dubai was signed; Government of Sverdlovsk region organized panel discussion with the Arab investors twice during the regional forum Innoprom. Despite the fact that all abovementioned regions have good investment opportunities and quite moderate investment risks none of deals were successfully realized. The author concludes that these regions do not work systematically and consistently when it comes to the Arab investors. Efforts of the most regional authorities are spontaneous and depend on the short-term circumstances. On the contrary, Chechen Republic is characterized by intensive PR but fails to attract Arab FDI due to high investment risks. Only Tatarstan is distinguished by smart strategy towards the Arab investors. For last ten years 7 deals have been initiated with 6 of which have been realized successfully. Such a performance is not occasional. Firstly, since 2009 Tatarstan has been organizing annual Islamic business forum – KazanSummit. Secondly, Tatarstan ordered road map for development of the Islamic Finance in the region, and continually implements it. Thirdly, Tatarstan set up trade and investment representative in Dubai. Fourthly, Tatarstan opened Center for Partnership Banking which officially promotes Islamic Banking services in the region. Finally, the republic-owned bank – Ak Bars attracted 60 and 100 Million US dollars in 2011 and 2014 respectively from the Islamic capital markets. Both deals were structured as Murabaha – a popular Islamic banking instrument. Despite the fact that Tatarstan has not launched Sukuk yet, the author admits the pioneering role of the bank and Tatarstan government as a whole in the build-up of deeper Russian-Arab investment relationship.
Arab investment, GCC, Persian Gulf, murabaha, sukuk, Islamic Bank, Islamic finance, Tatarstan, Kazansummit
1. World Investment Report 2016. Available at: http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2016_en.pdf (accessed 14.02.2017).
2. External Sector Statistics, Central Bank of the Russian Federation. Available at: http://www.cbr.ru/eng/statistics/?PrtId=svs (accessed 14.02.2017).
3. Investment Risk of the Russian Regions, 2016 (In Russ.) Available at: http://raexpert.ru/rankingtable/region_climat/2016/tab02 (accessed 14.03.2017).
4. Islamic Development Bank Will Hold an International Investment Conference in Kazan (In Russ.) Available at: https://m.business-gazeta.ru/article/1494 (accessed 14.03.2017).
5. A Road Map on the Development of Islamic Finance in Russia and OIC Countries Were Presented in Kazan Summit 2013. Available at: http://tida.tatarstan.ru/eng/index.htm/news/230183.htm (accessed 14.03.2017).
6. Tatarstan and Crimea Have Become Leaders of the Media Rating of the Russian Regions (In Russ.) Available at: https://asi.ru/news/53005/ (accessed 14.03.2017).
7. Interview with the First Deputy Chairman of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation Aleksey Ulyukaev (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.gazeta.ru/interview/nm/s3689237.shtml (accessed 14.03.2017).
8. Rustam Minnikhanov Took Part in the Meeting with Chairman of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation Elvira Nabiullina and the President of IBD Mohammed Ali Al-Madani (In Russ.) Available at: http://prav.tatarstan.ru/rus/index.htm/news/443125.htm (accessed 14.03.2017).
9. Deals of the Year 2011 Handbook, Islamic Finance News, March 2012. Available at: http://islamicfinancenews.com/contents/supplements/2012/doty2011.pdf (accessed 15.03.2017).
10. AK BARS bank Arranged Placement Within the First International Islamic Syndication in Russia. The Deal is Recognized as the Best in Europe (In Russ.) Available at: https://www.akbars.ru/about/press-center/news/detail.php? ELEMENT_ID=22865 (accessed 15.03.2017).
11. Cheap and Cheerful (In Russ.) Available at: http://kommersant.ru/doc/2564107 (accessed 17.03.2017).
12. Linar Yakupov. In Russia There is a Willingness to Develop Business and Finance on the Ethical Principles (In Russ.) Available at: http://islamic-finance.ru/news/2014-11-28-1308 (accessed 17.03.2017).
Registered in system SCIENCE INDEX