A. Kuznetsov (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation;
I. Prokhorenko (email@example.com),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation
The paper presents the results of modern studies on economic, social and political problems of Spain in the leading research centers of Moscow. The stress is made on the Primakov Institute of World Economy and International Relations (IMEMO) where the conference “Modern Spain: Problems and Solutions” was held on the 20th October 2017. A significant part of the article is devoted to research results presented at this conference. The place of Spain in the world economy and specifics of Spanish participation in the innovation processes under globalization were explained by Prof. Petr Yakovlev, PhD Violetta Tayar, Prof. Alexey Kuznetsov, PhD Tatiana Sidorenko and PhD Agnessa Avilova. On the one hand, the success of Spain in trans-Atlantic economic cooperation and outward FDI expansion was shown. On the other hand, it was stressed that low quality of human capital in Spain as well as insufficient R&D activity of national large business remained main barriers for future economic progress of the country. Social issues were placed in the center of reports held by Prof. Tatiana Koval, PhD Eleonora Ermolieva, Ilona Gritsenko and PhD Galina Ponedelko. The main attention was paid to religious and educational problems. It was shown that political preferences of leading parties were very important for governmental decisions during the whole period of post-Franco transit of Spain. PhD Ekaterina Cherkasova and Alexander Aleshin presented new considerations on Seuta & Melilla and Gibraltar problems. The most active discussion arose around the Catalonian separatism. Prof. Sergey Khenkin, PhD Ekaterina Grantseva, Ignacio Garcia-Valdecasas Fernandez and some other experts showed that both Madrid and Barcelona made political mistakes during several years. The so named referendum on Catalonia independence on the 1st October 2017 was actually illegal. It could not help the solution of political and identical problems of Catalonia and made real harm for its further economic development. Some roots of the problem could be found in 1980–1990s. Moreover, many myths were developed since then, especially by separatists (e.g., about independent state of Catalonia in the Middle Ages).
Spain, IMEMO, case studies, economy, political and party system, Catalonia, relations between Russia and Spain
1. Kuznetsov A.V., ed. Predely liderstva Germanii v Evrope [Limits of German Leadership in Europe]. Moscow, IMEMO, 2017. 146 p.
2. Kuznetsov A.V., Klinova M.V., Kudryavtsev A.K., Timofeev P.P., eds. Frantsiya na poroge peremen: ekonomika i politika v nachale XXI veka [France on the Eve of Changes: Economy and Politics at the Beginning of 21st Century]. Moscow, IMEMO, 2016. 285 p.
3. Avilova A.V., Kvashnin Yu.D., eds. Italiya v nachale XXI veka [Italy at the Beginning of the 21st Century]. Moscow, IMEMO, 2015. 152 p.
4. Kvashnin Yu.D., ed. Sovremennaya Gretsiya v mirovoy ekonomike i politike [Modern Greece in the Global Economy and Politics]. Moscow, IMEMO, 2013. 184 p.
5. Maiskii I.M., ed. Noveishaya istoriya Ispanii [Modern History of Spain]. Moscow, Nauka, 1975. 492 c.
6. Ponedelko G.N. Gosudarstvo v ekonomike Ispanii: vzglyad v proshloye i sovremennost’ [State in the Economy of Spain: View on the Past and the Present]. Moscow, Nauka, 1991. 144 p.
7. Ponedelko G.N. Ispaniya ot frankizma do nashikh dnei [Spain from Francoism until the Present]. Sotsial’noye gosudarstvo v stranakh ES: proshloe i nastoyashchee [Social State in the EU Member States: the Past and the Present]. Kvashnin Yu.D., ed. Moscow, IMEMO, 2016, pp. 118-136.
8. Ponedelko G.N. Immigratsiya v Ispanii [Immigration in Spain]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2015, no. 9, pp. 80-92.
9. Avilova A.V. Regional’niye disproportsii i regional’naya politika v sovremennoi Ispanii. Avtoref. diss. kand. ekon. nauk [Regional Disparities and Regional Policy of Modern Spain. Abstract of PhD Thesis (Econ.)]. Moscow, 1972. 26 p.
10. Avilova A.V., Vedenyapin Ya.S. Ekonomika Ispanii [Economy of Spain]. Moscow, Nauka, 1978. 175 p.
11. Avilova A.V. Problema torgovogo i investitsionnogo sotrudnichestva mezhdu Rossiyey i Ispaniyey v usloviyah sanktsiy [Problems of Trade and Investment Cooperation between Russia and Spain in Terms of Sanctions]. Iberoamerican Papers, 2017, no. 1(15), pp. 7-11.
12. Avilova A.V. Ispaniya i Latinskaya Amerika: imperskaya traditsiya i sovremennost’ [Spain and Latin America: Imperial Tradition and the Present]. Iberoamerican Papers, 2017, no. 4(18), pp. 62-65.
13. Prokhorenko I. L. Natsional’nyi interes vo vneshnei politike gosudarstva: opyt sovremennoi Ispanii [National Interest in Foreign Policy of the State: Experience of Modern Spain]. Moscow, PasportGrafika, 1995. 128 p.
14. Prokhorenko I.L. Ispaniya v Evropeiskom Soyuze: vzaimovliyaniye natsional’nogo i transnatsional’nogo politicheskih prostranstv. Diss. dokt. polit. nauk [Spain in the European Union: Inter-influence of National and Transnational Political Spaces. Dr. (Polit.) Thesis]. Moscow, 2016, 375 p.
15. Kharitonova E.M., Prokhorenko I.L. “Myagkaya sila” bivshikh imperii: sravnitel’nyi opyt Velikobritanii i Ispanii [“Soft Power” of Former Empires: Comparative Analysis of Experience of Great Britain and Spain]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2018, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 39-49. DOI:10.20542/0131-2227-2018-62-3-39-49.
16. Prokhorenko I.L. Politika regional’nogo razvitiya Ispanii: mekhanizmy i instrumenty [Politics of Regional Development in Spain: Mechanisms and Instruments]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2015, no. 5, pp. 41-51.
17. Cherkasova E.G. Obraz Rossii v Ispanii: proshloe i nastoyashchee [Image of Russia in Spain: Past and Present]. Iberoamerican Papers, 2016, no.1(11), pp. 108-115.
18. Cherkasova E.G. Ispaniya [Spain]. Evropeiskii Soyuz na pereput’e: nereshennye problemy i novye vyzovy (politicheskie aspekty) [European Union at the Crossroads: Unresolved Problems and New Challenges (Political Aspects)]. Arbatova N.K., Kokeev A.M., eds. Moscow, IMEMO, 2016, pp. 156-174.
19. Semenenko I.S. Politicheskaya identichnost’ v kontekste politiki identichnosti [Political Identity and Identity Polics]. Politicheskaya Ekspertiza: POLITEX, 2011, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 5-24.
20. Khenkin S.M., ed. Ispaniya v nachale XXI veka [Spain at the Beginning of the 21st Century]. Moscow, MGIMO, 2006. 168 p.
21. Vernikov V.L., ed. Ispaniya. Anfas i profil’ [Spain. En face and Profile]. Moscow, Ves’ Mir, 2007. 480 p.
22. Yakovlev P.P., Yermol’eva E.G., eds. Ispaniya na vikhode iz krizisa [Spain at the End of the Crisis]. Moscow, Institute of Latin America, 2017. 220 p.
23. Vernikov V.L., ed. Ispaniya v menyayushchemsya mire [Spain in a Changing World]. Moscow, Institute of Europe, 2017. 76 p.
24. Yakovleva N.M., ed. Ispaniya i Portugaliya v epokhu global’nykh transformatsii [Spain and Portugal in the Epoch of Global Transformation]. Moscow, Institute of Latin America, 2017. 307 p.
25. Yakovlev P.P. Ispaniya v mirovoi politike [Spain in World Politics]. Moscow, Institute of Latin America, 2011. 378 p.
26. Koval T.B. Katolitsizm v sovremennoi Ispanii: “kolichestvo” i “kachestvo” very. [Catholicism in Modern Spain: “Quantity” and “Quality” of Faith]. Latin America, 2009, no. 5, pp. 82-93.
27. Khenkin S.M. Fenomen separatizma: opyt Ispanii [Phenomenon of Separatism: Experience of Spain]. Moscow, MGIMO, 2017. 111 p.
Registered in system SCIENCE INDEX