S. Zhukov (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations, Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation;
I. Kopytin (email@example.com),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations, Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation
Abstract. The article analyses perspectives for developing a new spot market for Iraqi oil in the context of the sharpening competition of oil-exporters for export niches. Since opening of its oil sector to foreign capital and technology in 2009/2010 Iraq has firmly established itself as an important supplier of oil to European, Asia-Pacific and even US markets. In the present mechanism of crude oil price-setting Iraq is forced to adjust its oil export prices to the benchmarks established by more powerful market players. Meanwhile, the produced volumes of both Iraqi brands – Basra Light and Basra Heavy – are sufficient for launching a sustainable spot trade. The spot market will allow exporters of Iraqi oil to build long lasting partnerships with its buyers, e. g. refining plants in Europe and Asia-Pacific. Besides, the liquid and transparent spot prices will help the central authorities of Iraq to impose a discipline on the oil export which presently is in a chaotic stance. The spot market is promoted by a cooperation between the State Oil Marketing Organization and the Swiss trading arm of the Russian oil company Lukoil. Transfer of Iraqi oil exports to spot could trigger major adjustment or, possibly, even dismantling of the current institute of the official selling price presently used by OPEC countries. It is highly probable that in the medium term perspective new transparent and liquid spot market, localized in The Dubai International Financial Centre, will be integrated into the financial market. Eventually, this will lead to a structural strengthening of the world oil market.
Keywords: world oil market, Iraq, spot market, official selling price, Brent, Basra Light, Basra Heavy, Lukoil, Dubai Mercantile Exchange
1. SOMO. Available at: http://somooil.gov.iq/en/index.php/2015-11-14-05-53-22 (accessed 01.06.2017).
2. LITASCO. Available at: http://litasco.com/en/About/GeneralInformation (accessed 19.05.2017).
3. Florence Tan F., El Gamal R. Iraq’s SOMO, Russia’s Litasco Set up Oil Trade Firm in Dubai. Available at: http://www.reuters.com/article/iraq-russia-trading-idUSL8N1I41WX (accessed 02.05.2017).
4. Dubai Multi Commodities Centre. Available at: https://www.dmcc.ae/free-zone (accessed 02.05.2017).
5. UAE Free Zones. Available at: http://www.uaefreezones.me/uaefreezones.me/dubai_multi_commodity_centre.html (accessed 02.05.2017).
6. Dubai Multi Commodities Center. Available at: http://www.dubaimerc.com/news/details/SOMO-sells-2-million-barrels-of-Basrah-Light-crude-oil-on-DME-Auctions (accessed 30.04.2017).
7. Dubai Multi Commodities Center. Available at: http://www.dubaimerc.com/news/details/SecondDMEBasrah1 (accessed 31.05.2017).
8. DME Auctions 4 million bls of Iraqi Crude for SOMO. Dubai Multi Commodities Center. Available at: http://www.dubaimerc.com/news/details/DMEAUCTIONS4MILLIONBLSOFIRAQICRUDEFORSOMO (accessed 21.06.2017).
9. Zhukov S. V., Reznikova O. B. Transformaciya OPEK: narastanie vnutrennih protivorechii i vneshnie vyzovy [The Transformation of OPEC: the Growth of the Internal Contradictions and External Challenges]. Transformaciya mirovogo rynka nefti. Sbornik statei [The transformation of the world oil market. A collection of articles]. Moscow, IMEMO, 2016. 172 p.
10. OPEC Annual Statistical Bulletin 2017. Available at: http://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/202.htm (accessed 13.06.2017).
11. Tret’yakov P. Irak khochet pomenyat’ usloviya servisnykh kontraktov s neftyanikami [Iraq Wants to Change the Terms of Service Contracts with Oil Companies]. Vedomosti, 13.03.2015. Available at: https://www.vedomosti.ru/newspaper/articles/2015/03/13/irakmenyaet-pravila-dlya-neftyanikov (accessed 13.03.2015).]
12. Bloomberg. Database. Available at: http://www.bloomberg.com (accessed 01.06.2017).
13. Rasheed À. Exclusive: Oil Companies Offer to Cut 2015 Spending in Iraq. Available at: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraqoil-contracts-idUSKBN0M820X20150312 (accessed 21.03.2015).
14. First Review of the Three-year Stand-by Arrangement and Financing Assurances Review, Requests for Waivers of Nonobservance and Applicability of Performance Criteria, Modification of Performance Criteria, and Rephasing of the Arrangement. IMF Country Report No. 16/379, December 2016. 52 p.
15. How Iraq Could Upend Mideast Crude Sales. Petroleum Intelligence Weekly, vol. 56, no. 18, May 8, 2017, pp. 1-2.
16. Iraq Gets $5.34 Billion IMF Loan to Support Economic Stability. Available at: http://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2016/07/12/14/31/NA071416-Iraq-Gets-IMF-Loan-to-Support-Economic-Stability (accessed 14.07.2016).
17. IMF Executive Board Approves US$1.24 Billion in Financial Support for Iraq. IMF Press Release. Available at: http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/pr/2015/pr15363.htm (accessed 30.07.2015).
18. Lynn Doan L., Cho S. Iraq Starts Offering Basrah Heavy Crude at Discounts for May. Available at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-12/iraq-starts-offering-basrah-heavy-crude-at-discounts-for-may (accessed 12.04.2015).
19. Iraq Surprises Market with Sharp Hike in New Basrah Heavy OSP for Asia. Available at: https://www.platts.com/latest-news/oil/singapore/iraq-surprises-market-with-sharp-hike-in-new-27502444 (accessed 11.06.2015).
20. Iraq’s New Basrah Heavy to Become Third-Biggest Freely Traded Mideast Gulf Crude Stream. Available at: http://www.argusmedia.com/about-argus/press-releases/2015/argus-launches-iraqi-heavy-basrah/ (accessed 19.05.2015).
21. OTI Becomes 100% Government Owned. Available at: http://www.omantrading.com/oti-becomes-100-percent-governmentowned (accessed 08.11.2015).
22. Oman Trading International. Available at: http://gpca.org.ae/congulf/blog/oman-trading-international (accessed 18.06.2017).
23. Blas J., DiPaola A. Oman Said to Be Near Buying Vitol Stake in Oil-Trading Arm. Bloomberg, 03.06.2015. Available at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-03/oman-said-to-be-near-buying-vitol-s-stake-in-oil-trading-venture (accessed 03.06.2015).
24. Iraq Sells First Oil Supertanker through Auction. Available at: http://crudenow.com/Boardtext.aspx? ID=+International/Somo.txt (accessed 26.05.2017).
25. Forecast peak global oil demand (July 2016) (In Russ.) Available at: http://www.imemo.ru/energyeconomics/index.php?page_id=1135 (accessed 31.05.2017).
26. International Energy Agency. Database. Available at: http://www.iea.org/statistics/ (accessed 01.05.2017).
27. Energy Information Administration. Database. Available at: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm (accessed 10.07.2017).
28. Mabro R. On Oil Price Concepts. Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, WPM 3, 1984, pp. 25-43.
29. Konoplyanik A. A. Rossiya na formiruyushchemsya evroaziatskom energeticheskom prostranstve: problemy konkurentosposobnosti [Russia and the Emerging Eurasian Energy Space: Problems of Competitiveness]. Moscow, Nestor Akademik Pablisherz, 2004. 105 p.
30. Hurst L., Blas J. Saudi Arabia to Switch Crude Oil Pricing for European Refiners. Available at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-04/saudi-arabia-to-switch-crude-oil-pricing-for-european-refiners (accessed 04.04.2017).
Registered in System SCIENCE INDEX