IMEMO/Primakov Readings Roundtable at MSC 2020 "Russian Foreign Policy Choices in the New Era of Great Power Competition"
Roundtable held by Primakov Institute of Word Economy and International Relations (IMEMO) and the International Forum Primakov Readings is focused on intensifying economic, technological and military-political competition among leading regional and global powers. China has become second world economy trying to challenge the US and engage the EU but at the same time it is still fragile economically and technologically. The US are erasing their legal and political obligations in different spheres – from trade to arms control. New global and regional players are trying to be more integrated into financial and political architecture created by previous global leaders but looking for a chance to shift the existing hierarchy of the world order. Russia, India, EU are defining their new global interests and trying to find its paths in the changing international environment. The world order is showing trends both towards the new bipolarity and polycentrism. But which model they would really benefit from? Who will be losers and winners in this global confrontation and what norms principles and institutions will emerge out of it?
Moderator: Alexander Dynkin – President, Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations of Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO), Moscow
Introductory Words: Sergey Lavrov – Minister of Foreign Affairs, Russian Federation, Moscow
- Carl Bildt, Former Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Sweden; Co-Chairman, European Council on Foreign Relations;
- Richard Burt, Former Ambassador of the United States of America to the Federal Republic of Germany; United States Chairman, Global Zero; Managing Partner, McLarty Associates;
- Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, Deputy Chairman, FDP Parliamentary Group, German Bundestag;
- Fyodor Lukyanov, Editor-in-Chief, Russia in Global Affairs; Research Director, Council on Foreign and Defense Policy;
- David Miliband, President and Chief Executive Officer, International Rescue Committee; former Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs of the United Kingdom; Member of the Advisory Council, Munich Security Conference;
- Wolfgang Schüssel, Former Federal Chancellor of the Republic of Austria; Chairman, DER-Dialog-Europe-Russia;
- Feodor Voitolovsky, Director, Primakov Institute of World Economy and International Relations of Russian Academy of Sciences.