A. Karimova (email@example.com),
Primakov National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations, Russian Academy of Sciences (IMEMO), 23, Profsoyuznaya Str., Moscow, 117997, Russian Federation
The article presents the results of research on the officially declared construction of the Indo-Pacific region (Indo-Pacific). Centered around the purpose of the study (identification of the transregional structure), characteristics of historical strategies applied at different times in the basins of three oceans (Atlantic, Pacific and Indian) are drawn, a possible design is schematized, the “connectedness” construct is tested. In the course of a comparative analysis of oceanic complexes, the relief of interference space is described on the basis of the Monsoon Asia countries; its post-Soviet (the political model of Central Asia) and Russian segments (Monsoon regions of the Arctic zone) are revealed. The geographic and political discourse highlights the motives that define the functions of the projected international region. It is proved that as part of the simulation of Indo-Pacific (the global version of the Middle East territorial complex) an iterative approach reflecting the modern ideas of its designers, concerning the development environment of a “world superpower”, is used. The key moments of the conceptual impact of H. Mackinder’s, A. Mahan’s, N. Spykman’s and F. Turner’s theories of the West as a space of North American leadership are noted — in particular, the Turner’s “Pacific Century” of the United States, the Mahan’s provision on the emerging threat in the “Asian Mediterranean”, etc. Relevant similarities between modern methods of risk prevention and recommendations found in the works of the British and North American scientists are made. The applied aspect of the connection strategy, motives and functions of the projected international region are highlighted. Given the need to understand the essence of the process, the definition of a geostrategic region is proposed for the first time, assumptions of its functional role under conditions of the Fourth Industrial Revolution (with its paradox of technologies outstripping human ideas) are made.
Middle East, Monsoon Asia, Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, Indo-Pacific, geostrategic region
1. Slaughter A.-M. The Chessboard and the Web: Strategies of Connection in a Networked World. New Haven, Yale University Press, 2017. 304 p.
2. Isserman A.M. Lost in Space? On the History, Status, and Future of Regional Science (Presidential Address, April 4, 1992). The Review of Regional Studies, 1993, vol. 23(1), Summer, pp. 1-50.
3. Nye J.S., ed. International Regionalism. Boston, Little, Brown & Co, 1968. 448 ð.
4. Buzan B., Waever O. Regions and Powers. The Structure of International Security. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2003. 564 ð.
5. The Gulf: Future Security and British Policy. The Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2000. 61 p.
6. Mackinder H. J. The Geographical Pivot of History. The Geographical Journal, 1904, vol. 23, April, no. 4, pp. 421-437.
7. Metloff M., Snell E. Strategicheskoe planirovanie v koalitsionnoi voine 1941–1942 gg. [Strategic Planning in the Coalition War of 1941–1942], Moscow, Izd-vo inostr. lit., 1955. 496 p.
8. Kaplan R. Mest’ geografii. Chto mogut rasskazat’ geograficheskie karty o gryadushchikh konfliktakh i bitve protiv neizbezhnogo [The Revenge of Geography. What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate]. Moscow, KoLibri, Azbuka-Attikus, 2015. 384 p.
9. President Donald Trump Proclaims a National Security Strategy Aimed at Promoting American Interests. 19.12.2017 (In Russ.) Available at: https://inosmi.ru/politic/20171219/241042738.html (accessed 04.07.2018).
10. Summary of the 2018 National Defense Strategy of the United States of America. Sharpening the American Military’s Competitive Edge. Available at: https://dod.defense.gov/Portals/1/Documents/pubs/2018-National-Defense-Strategy-Summary.pdf (accessed 04. 08.2018).
11. Kaplan R. Musson: Indiiskii okean i budushchee amerikanskoi politiki [Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power]. Moscow, KoLibri, Azbuka-Atikus, 2015. 416 p.
12. America’s Pacific Century. Remarks by H. R. Clinton, Secretary of State, Honolulu, Hi. November 10, 2011. Available at: https://2009-2017.state.gov/secretary/20092013clinton/rm/2011/11/176999.htm (accessed 14.09.2018).
13. Metz S. How to Tell if America Will Remain a Global Superpower. Available at: https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/13741/how-to-tell-if-america-will-remain-a-global-superpower (accessed 29.07.2018).
14. Friedman G. Coming to Terms with the American Empire. 14.04.2015. Available at: https://www.financialsense.com/contributors/george-friedman/coming-to-terms-with-american-empire (accessed 12.08.2018).
15. Mahan A.T. The Problem of Asia and Its Effect upon International Relations. Boston, Little, Brown & Co, 1900. 281 p.
16. Spykman N.J. America’s Strategy in World Politics. New York, Harcourt, Brace & Co., 1942. 500 p.
17. Mackinder H.J. Democratic Ideals and Reality: A Study in the Politics of Reconstruction. New York, Henry Holt &Co., 1919. 277 p.
18. Mackinder H.J. The Geographical Pivot of History. The Geographical Journal, 1904, vol. 23, April, no. 4, ðð. 421-437.
19. Terner F.Dzh. Frontir v amerikanskoi istorii [The Frontier in American History]. Moscow, Ves’ Mir, 2009. 304 p.
20. Voeikov A.I. Budet li Tikhii okean glavnym torgovym putem Zemnogo shara? [Will the PacificOcean Be the Main Trade Route of the Globe?]. St. Petersburg, 1904. 86 p.
21. Van Sant J., Mauch P., Sugita Y. Historical Dictionary of United States–Japan Relations. Historical Dictionaries of U. S. Diplomacy, No. 4. Lanham, MD, Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2007. 371 p.
22. Giarra P.S. The Navy and Nation Need a Maritime Strategy. Proceedings Magazine, 2017, December, vol. 143/12/1,378. Available at: https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2017-12/navy-and-nation-need-maritime-strategy (accessed 08.09.2018).
23. Noboru Y. Redefining the Japan–US Alliance. Available at: https://www.nippon.com/en/features/c00204 (accessed 11.08.2018).
24. Curzon G.N. Russia in Central Asia in 1889 and the Anglo–Russian Question. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1889. 537 p.
25. Spykman N.J. The Geography of the Peace. New York, Harcourt, Brace and Co., 1944. 66 p.
26. Zajec O. Introduction à The Geography of the Peace, de Nicholas Spykman. Une réinterprétation critique. Res Militaris, 2014, vol. 4, Winter-Spring/Hiver-Printemps, no. 1, pð. 1-36.
27. The United States Security Strategy for the East Asia-Pacific Region‑1998. The Secretary of Defense. Washington, DC. Available at: http://ryukyu-okinawa.net/downloads/usdod-easr98.pdf (accessed 10.08.2018).
28. Mayborn W. The Pivot to Asia. The Persistent Logics of Geopolitics and the Rise of China. The Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, 2014, vol. 15, October, no. 4, pp. 76-101.
29. Bracken P. The 2018 Nuclear Posture Review: Signaling Restraints with Stipulations. February 1, 2018. Available at: https://www.fpri.org/article/2018/02/2018-nuclear-posture-review-signaling-restraint-stipulations (accessed 19.08.2018).
30. Voeikov A.I. Klimat oblasti mussonov Vostochnoi Azii [The Climate of the Region of the Monsoon of East Asia]. Izv. Russkogo G. O. St. Petersburg, 1879, vol. 15, issue 5, pp. 321-410.
31. Khromov S.P. Musson kak geograficheckaya real’nost’ [Monsoon as a Geographical Reality]. Izv. Vsesoyuz. Geogr. ob-va. Leningrad, 1950, vol. 82, issue 3, ðð. 225-246.
32. Cohen S.P. India: Emerging Power. Washington, DC, Brookings Institution Press, 2004. 377 p.
33. Carimova A. Tsentral’naya Aziya: evristiki i modeli [Central Asia: Heuristics and Models]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2018, vol.62, no. 10, pp. 114-123. DOI:10.20542/0131-2227-2018-62-10-114-123
34. Lebedeva N. Kitaiskaya strategiya “nit’ zhemchuga” [The Chinese “Pearl Thread” Strategy] Available at: http://infoglaz.ru/?p=46545 (accessed 05. 09.2018).
35. Eckstein M. Navy to Release Arctic Strategy This Summer, Will Include Blue Water Arctic Operations. April 19, 2018. Available at: https://news.usni.org/2018/04/19/navy-to-release-arctic-strategy-this-summer-will-include-blue-water-arctic-operations (accessed 11.09.2018).
36. Horton J. O., Horton L. E. Slavery and the Making of America. New York, Oxford University Press, 2005. 254 p.
37. Sempa F.P. Nicholas Spykman and the Struggle for the Asiatic Mediterranean. January 09, 2015. Available at: https://thediplomat.com/2015/01/nicholas-spykman-and-the-struggle-for-the-asiatic-mediterranean/ (accessed 10.09.2018).
Registered in system SCIENCE INDEX